Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part Numbering In Detailed Assembly Drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetkovStoyan

Industrial
Sep 1, 2014
DE
Hello everyone, I need some assistance in the highly discussed topic of part numbering. We have order which is mainly structural - plates, U-beams, etc. We get the drawings in pdf format from our client. They have pretty good numbering system, which goes like this: xxxx-yyy-zzz-rev.00. xxxx is the order number, yyy is the assembly group, zzz are the subassembly drawings. The parts in the BOM are without part numbering, because every part itself is drawn on the assembly drawing. There are some parts of course which do not need a drawing for example plate 10x200x100. My job is to create a dwg. drawing to some parts with irregular shape and to give them to outside company for cutting on CNC machine. So when I assign part number I use for example 1000-050-001 pos.1. Our client uses the same convention. This works fine until I have to assign a number for a part which is used in several assemblies(over 20 in my case).
I don't want to use 20 different part numbers for the same part, I want to simplify things. So how to number this part for my future reference, and for the outside company to which I must send some kind of list of the parts? And how to make this without getting in conflict with client's part numbering system? Generally speaking how to assign a part number in detailed assembly drawing(I'm not sure if this is how it's called) to item which is used in multiple assemblies?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would give the advice to not base your part numbers (or pair your part numbers) with the part numbers of your client. If they in fact have not assigned part numbers to the parts you are having made by your own supplier, then you will have the freedom to designate a part number as needed. I would establish an intra-company part numbering system that will work for your companies needs, linking those part numbers to the clients assemblies within your own intra-company bill of material.
Creating your own intra-company numbering system and drawing database, tracking revisions to those drawing (adding part numbers, or changing specifications as needed to comply with the clients needs.). I would only use the clients number for the upper level assembly that will be provided to the client as a finished product.
Doing this will allow you to have a single part number for an item, even though it is used on several different configurations by your client. Be careful to track your clients specifications of these items, to assure there have not been revisions to this part in any application. This would call for a different part number to be issued, since your supplier will have to account for the changes made.
I hope this helps, or at least does not confuse you anymore than you had been.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you, and I think this is the only possible way. The convenience of having all parts drawn on the same drawing and not give them part numbers breaks down when you use the same part in several different drawings. There must be an independent part numbering, that's for sure.

Thanks again, have a nice day.

Stoyan Petkov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back