Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Part rebuild, base view crashes Inventor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabberwocky

Mechanical
Apr 1, 2005
Hey all,

My co-worker is having an(other) Inventor 2008 issue. He's spent the last few weeks working on some pretty complicated geometry for a medical device we're working on. After several iterations he's finally happy with the design and ready to take it into make a drawing.

Upon placing his first base view, Inventor crashes - every time.

Can anybody think of a reason that the .ipt 3d file would process fine but mapping it to a 2d .idw crashes out? This has never been an issue on previous parts.

Any advice is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure if we're 100% up-to-date, IT keeps us on a pretty short leash. It's not any custom base view on any given part though, just a single base view on this one part file...

Describe the part file.

I've had trouble with parts that are generated from the helix feature in Inv. Also have had trouble with parts with mirrored features, and sweeps that undergo subsequent edits.

Have you tried cleaning out the temp directory and rebooting?

#1- get up to date with hotfixes/service packs.
There are numerous fixes for crashes in the idw listed in the service pack readme files.

Thanks all for the help, he has since isolated the crash to a single feature, although it's arguably one of the simplest extrusions on the entire part...

And of course none of our model tinkering will actually help the thing get machined properly :)

Sorry, no, proprietary stuff. I don't know that we'd be able to recreate the issue on a simpler part because we've never had this problem before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back