Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Part-time and/or volunteering opportunities? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprilm04

Civil/Environmental
Feb 14, 2017
US
I wasn't sure where to post this. Long-time visitor, first-time poster.

Long story short, I got a BS/MS in environmental engineering, worked for a couple of years at an engineering consulting firm, and was offered a lucrative position through a prior employer doing something totally unrelated to engineering. (Yes, I sold out for the money.)

That said, I'd like to keep my engineering skills up-to-date if possible. I may have the time for a part-time job, but I'm not sure how many of those exist in engineering, especially considering I only have a couple of years of experience. Are there any volunteering opportunities I could go after? For the record, I'm in Austin.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In addition to the comments of SlideRuleEra, consider joining the local chapter of NSPE. There are volunteer activities with NSPE in schools and you may be able to network with a firm who needs a part timer.

Other engineering volunteer organizations include Bridges to Prosperity, Engineering Ministries International, and a whole slew of small water-based groups (Healing Water Intl, Living Water Intl, Water Mission, etc).

About the National Guards? I am sure that there is a need for environmental engineers. Also most communities have conservation commissions whose members are volunteers and will make surveys of properties with potential environmental issues.

Look for a First Robotics Team in your area. There may be a need for mentors and although it is not civil engineering it is still problem solving and you get to promote engineering to high school students.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back