Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Part-time Civil Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadwork

Civil/Environmental
Jan 9, 2007
US
Looking for thoughts/experiences on part-time work with an engineering firm. I have a full-time job that I am happy with, but would like to get something part-time to supplement my income, gain some new experience, and perhaps put my PE to work. All my experience is with county, state, and federal, so I'm not familiar with the inner workings of private firms. Is this something engineering firms are receptive to? I'm thinking I could work stormwater permits, or erosion & sediment control plans as a part-time employee, but maybe there are other areas that are particularly suited for part-timers. What do you all think? Any experiences from those who have done it? Any business owners/managers have opinions on it?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect that conflict of interest would be one of the biggest hurdles you'd face. Also, there are only so many hours a week a person can work productively. Many employment contracts include that that is your only employment.

I think it depends on the firm. I know that every private firm I have worked for in the past has had at least one part timer. Currently, I have two part-time employees. So I would think it would depend on the firm.

most of the "part timers" are only working the part time job, not two jobs. You might be better off trying to develop your own work to do on the weekends. For instance, home inspections, structural design or other engineering tasks for contractors, SWPPP plans, CADD work, quantity takeoffs etc.

I've got one guy who comes to work part-time every winter. He works for a surveying firm and when the surveying work slows down in the winter he works a couple days per week for me and the rest for his regular employer.

I've also in the past had a guy work one day per week for me to supplement his income - he worked four days a week for the state DOT and came in to help me on fridays (he got 36 hrs/wk in with the DOT).

And then, for 3 1/2 yrs I had a single mom with 3 kids come in 3-4 days per week whenever she could squeeze time in (averaged about 30 hrs/wk).

All different situations, but they all worked pretty well for all involved.

You may find a firm that would like to hire you part-time.

I have worked for 2 firms that had PEs on as part-timers.
You may find yourself very busy!!

I think you could take on some of the smaller projects as a one-man operation, then get it QA'd by the firm. On the other hand, you could do QA on small to medium jobs for them, too.

Great idea. Our firm (350+ employees) has many. The typical scenario is a parent, or a person who only wants limited hours.

One just QC'd a proposal for me Fri. Good thing she did! She's a wetlands/permitting expert, and I had some huge mistakes on a wetlands/permitting proposal. I will fix Monday, she will be home with her kids. Win:win, as I see it.

Make sure you negotiate correctly: PT typically get more per hour, but no benefits. You also want to be a sub-contractor, not an employee. That way, you say when you will work and what you will work on.

Signature under construction, sorry about the mess - Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back