Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partial Bevel Weld on Nozzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnG_Engr

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2017
US
All,

Today I had a situation where I was over-ridden regarding the use of a full-pen weld on a high pressure (6000 psig) nozzle versus a partial-penetration bevel weld with a small fillet weld on the opposing side. The computer program said a partial-pen weld was okay, so management decided to go with a partial penetration weld. One reason I've always used full-pen welds on high pressure applications in the past was out of concern for corrosion getting behind weld. However, the counter argument would be that it's sealed off with a fillet. I still don't like going with anything less than full-pen because of potential unknowns (fatigue?). Given it's over 3000 psig, I think you'd want to over-design anyway due to U-1(d).

Since my industry experience isn't a sufficient answer, does anyone have a more documented reason not to do it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not a designer so I cannot answer your technical question, but my gut feeling agrees with you that at 6,000 psi the prudent approach is full penetration.

However I do detect an issue with your management, who will challenge an engineer who presents valid reasons, but not challenge a computer program whose output comes out of a black box.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

You got that right...

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Example: NPS 2 nozzle in 300mm thick shell that can be fillet welded inside and outside the shell. I saw something similar for Reactor Pressure Vessel (Nuclear).

Regards

I've seen it both ways. I would not expect the corrosion in the sealed area to be a problem, though.

After digging through UW-16.1, it look's legal; however, I think they're going to have trouble with U-1(d) since a full-pen would have been an easy "addition"(ABSA lists full-pen as meeting the U-1(d) requirement).

I wonder if there is a weld requirement in 49 CFR 192?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back