Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partially Constrained Part

Status
Not open for further replies.

lab2010

Aerospace
Mar 21, 2014
US
How is it possible to have a part that is partially constrained, but there are no degrees of freedom? In my assembly, one of my parts is displaying that it is only partially constrained; however, it should be fully. I can't move or rotate the part. In addition, when I select "Show Degrees of Freedom", there are none. How can I get the assembly tree to reflect this? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you do a screendump of the constraint's which are connected to this specific component ?
( You don't say what version you are running, later versions have enhanced tools to analyse constraints.)
Select the component in the navigator, then expand the "dependencies" field in the bottom of the navigator, it should then only list the related components and the constraints, Screendump this field. - If you like you can edit out the component names to protect your data.

Assembly constraints is complex math, and can therefore sometimes deliver unexpected results.

Regards,
Tomas

No I can't do a screendump.
I'm running version 8.5, but this part was made by someone else in a previous version.
I get the list of constraints, but it isn't much help. It appears that several other parts have also been constrained to this "partially constrained" part as well. It lists 7 constraints.

Again it shows that there are no degrees of freedom and the part cannot move. I presume this is just an error in the navigator recognizing that it is indeed fully constrained. Update model doesn't do anything, but is there something similar that will essentially knock some sense into the thing to realize its status accurate? I don't want to break and recreate the constraints.

Do any of the constraints have warning or error icons next to them?

Perhaps the current assembly arrangement overrides or suppresses one or more constraints?

Have all the files in the assembly been saved in NX 8.5 format?

www.nxjournaling.com

No warnings or errors.
I would say yes to the 8.5 format...I loaded each file in 8.5 and then saved in 8.5.
It is probably just some bug, so I just redid the constraints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back