Particle board flooring restraint to timber beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

will.sce

Structural
Jun 3, 2024
AU
Hi all,

In the context of residential timber framed housing, would you consider particle board flooring to provide continuous restraint to the top
of a timber beam? (This is in Australia but open to input from other codes)

Specifically, this would be 22mm thick particleboard, continuously glued and nailed at max 300mm cts to the top of a 2/300x42 LVL15 beam.
Appendix E of the AS1720 allows for calculating the force at each restraint, which in my current case would beam a 0.17kN force on each
nail, which seems negligible to me. Problem is that I cant find any information on the strength of a nail in particle board, given its not
an element that would usually be considered structural.

So thoughts on considering this beam as continuously restrained?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agree with Tomfh.

Most particleboard used for flooring have an installation manual. Its normally 2.8dia nail, then check AS 1720.1.

Beam directly fixed to particleboard? No joist supporting floor? Floor normally restrains joist, then joist restrains beam.

Cheers,

In this case, the joists run parallel to the beam, so will not provide restraint. I'd thought to confirm the capacity of
the nail with AS1720.1 but that would only give the capacity of the nail relative to the timber beam it is in, not the
failure of the nail through the particleboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back