Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition on a complex part. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etienne17

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2020
DE
Hello to all,

I would like to mesh my model in Hex elements but after several attempts to create partitions, it doesn't work. The piece remains impossible to mesh.
I have read some documents on the topic but I don't know how to use the tools for my specific case.

Would someone please explain to me how to create an efficient partition of my model?

I specify that I am a beginner, the answer may be obvious.

Capture_zcmut2.jpg

Have a nice day,
Etienne

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some parts are too complex to be meshed with hex elements using traditional techniques (there are also special methods such as hexa block meshing available in professional meshers). Other are not so complex and can be meshes with proper partitioning. The goal is to divide the part into simple shapes, often the more partitions the better. You can try partitioning this model but it may happen to be too curved for mesher available in Abaqus.

It is possible to hex-mesh it, but it is impossible to have a good quality for every element. The geometry is too complex for this.

Attached are three pictures.

Here is what I've done:
1. Remove all unnecessary edges. Use Virtual Topology->Ignore Entities in the Mesh-module to do that. One picture shows the edges I've kept.
2. Now meshing with sweep or structures technique is possible. The quality is a bit better with structured meshing, but still not good, especially in the center of the part.
3. Create a datum plane and partition the part in the center. This will enforce a better mesh in the center and push the distorted elements more outwards.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bc1482ee-dd36-49e7-bd27-9213bc622fcb&file=meshing.zip
Hello everyone,

Thanks a lot for your quick answers ! It works perfectly.

I've got another question but I will create another thread.

Let me ask a provocative question that, hopefully, leads to a deeper appreciation for spatial discretization - What makes you think you must hex mesh this geometry? By hex mesh, I am assuming you were referring to linear bricks.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back