Parts List for Deformable Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kedar301

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2006
GB
hi guys,

I am experimenting to learn on deformable parts and i would like to use it on the basic standard parts such as bolts etc.

I have got a good understanding of creation of these parts but when i call for a parts list in drawing mode it only shows 1 single part used in various different location, even though it has various lenghts.

So how do i capture various different lengths and quantity of each?

thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're thinking of bolts of different length, then yes, Deformable Parts is NOT the way to go. I would use Family Tables. Deformable Parts are for things that change shape, like a cable or a piece of tubing or a spring.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

hi guys,

actually I have used bolt as a simple example, it could be any such parts, such as rod, pins and so on.

I want to be able to create perfect parts list and still be able to use parts at varying dimensions.

Any items that normally require different part numbers because they are actually different sizes should not be represented by a single CAD part that is given special change information at installation. Suitable uses: a spring that will have different lengths depending on where it is installed.

in that case Deformable Parts might not be a way to do.

So what other ways i can create parts that can remain as a single part and can be altered at assembly level depending on required dimensions.

Lets say for example how can one use a single size sheet (thickness) to make various size sections for a cupboard may be?

As far as the Parts List/BOM is concerned, a spring will be listed by it's 'free length', irrespective of where or how it's installed.

But getting back ti the OP's question, generally speaking a 'deformable' part is intended to represent something which only has a change of shape and NOT size, therefore how ever the part might be deformed, like the aforementioned spring, that would not change the specification in the Parts List.

Now if you're using a 'deformable' part to represent something that changes size, like a spacer or a shim of different thicknesses, then we're getting into something which would be better served using a part generated from a Family Table part, where each member can have specific Attributes which can be used by the Parts List for the part's description/specification.

I hope that helps clarify the differences between 'deformable' versus something that represents a single member of a 'family' of different parts, like set of different thickness shims or a shaft which could be different lengths, etc.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Why would one part, with one part number, that is installed at a different length get multiple BOM entries? Assuming that I would ever mean that to be the right thing to do makes no sense at all.

looking at the replies above, i think the conclusion is to use separate part each time to create a neat BOM.

it would have been handy to have such a tool for things like rods, shims and so on.

I know this maybe a bit off topic, but NX does have a newer module called structure designer. Which could help you out for welded structures and such. For bolts, screws and other hardware have you looked at downloading them off of the Siemens website? They have a huge reuse library you can download with all of the part families created for you.
We stay away from deformable parts. In my opinion they are buggy as heck, and has many assemblies go corrupt.

this is interesting, does this structure designer only work with welded structures?

I cant seem to find Structure Designer is it on NX12?

oh ok, i have to stick to Version 12 unfortunately. I will see if a friend can help me whos company might have latest version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back