Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Parts Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmadilloTwister

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2008
CA
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knew if there is a way to have one common parts list for two different assemblies in one drwaing. These assemblies have common parts and I would like to have them counted in one parts lists. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Drop both of these assemblies into a higher level assembly. Then put a view of that higher level assembly somewhere outside the title block. Build your parts list off of that.

I don't know how the balloon numbing will worf if you're not using different View Representations of the new assembly, to get trimmed down views of the 2 lower level assemblies.

Never tried this method in Inventor, but maybe this will help.

Ken

Make the assemblies phantom, place them into an assembly together, and use that for your parts list reference. You can place that upper level into your drawing as well and balloon all parts, or create LOD's of that assembly to show each sub individually. You don't have to have a view of the assembly you want to create a parts list for in your drawing, you can reference it directly.

LOD=Level of Detail its a memory management tool that is built into inventor (maybe R11 and up I forget) but it allows you to setup different "configurations" like supressing all fasteners or what ever in an assembly.

I't basically allows you to quickly remove a bunch of parts from an assembly so you can work faster because those parts are unloaded from memory when you activate a LOD.

Fundamentally, putting the two assemblies in a higher level assembly is the way to do it like the others have said.
The problem with putting the two individual assemblies in the drawing sheet separately is that the title block pulls through the iProps from the first assembly, and you can not obtain any detail from the second assembly.... but you've probably figured that out already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back