Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

patentable tire idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcebrad

Mechanical
Jun 7, 2004
US
I have an idea for a new "type" of tire that would likely increase fuel mileage (estimated 15+%) as well as either maintaining or increasing performance (relative to grip in the fore/aft and lateral directions). I've contacted Michelin and a few other tire companies and asked to speak to someone in engineering about the idea. I was less worried about intellectual property and more interested in finding out if the manufacturing methods required are feasible. I've toured a few tire facilities and based on what I know about the processes I think it's possible.

At any rate, I'm not getting any response. Should I just can the idea and continue on with a busy life, try to go through some patent investigations, or what?

I'm sure some of you have gone through the patent process, but I don't really know of anyone that has been involved in a patent related to tire technology. I guess I'm just looking for discussion, advice, anecdotes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I very much doubt that the total energy absorbed by the tyres is 15%, so I wonder how you are going to get a 15% gain.

Do you mean a 15% reduction in the portion of the drag atributed to the tyre.

I have found that trying to get large companies with a large investment in existing plant to adopt NEW TECHNOLOGY that will make their existing investment obsolete is very difficult.

You might get a better response from a smaller company, looking to gain an edge, or a company that is investigating building a new plant.

For example it was Mazda who adopted the Rotary engine in ernest, not GM, Ford, Crysler, BMC, MB, VW etc

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I do not have a patent related to tires, but a good patent search is going to cost you about $10,000, and a full patent, depending on the type, about $30,000. You can, however, do some of you own searching for patents on the internet to see if anyone has patented a similar idea. If it a good idea then see if you can find investors willing to front the money. Good luck, I hope it works out well for you.

If the car in question is my old Volvo with busted overdrive, the ~ 30% rpm drop from fixing the OD was worth something like 10% in gas mileage. So simply increasing tire diameter 30% might do the trick

Response from Goodyear:

Thank you for your correspondence dated October 13, 2005. This
department administers the company’s policy with regard to
unsolicited disclosures, or “outside ideas� as they are also known.

Goodyear’s present policy precludes us from distributing within
our company any outside information that is confidential and
related to our business. Goodyear may only consider information which
is both published (such as in a granted patent, or in print
such as in a magazine, newspaper, website or the like) and available to
the general public at the time of its disclosure to Goodyear.
This policy protects our company from allegations of misappropriation
of third parties’ confidential and proprietary ideas when in
fact we may already be independently working on such ideas.

We thank you for your interest in Goodyear.

Intellectual Property Law Department D/823
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
1144 E. Market Street
Akron, Ohio 44316-0001

Well, considering that note from Goodyear, I'd definitely agree with Greg: get it published, so others can do the legwork for putting it into practice (and besidsed, others will have a hard time obtaining any kind of intellectual property protection if the idea was previously published by you).

Ron

As a long standing tire engineer (I think that means I'm old!!!), I think it might be good to have someone look over your idea. What is it? How did you arrive at 15+% improvement in fuel economy? What special manufacturering techniques are reuired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back