Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pattern of a pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loki3000

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2009
SI
Hi,

i have a round plate with holes for screws, as seen in the attached file.
I'd like to add two more holes next to a specific hole (the top one for example) and then i would like to pattern that to 3 separate instances.
what's the quickest way of creating a pattern like that?

is there any way that i could reuse existing hole so that i could do it without looking up the geometry etc (time consuming and prone to errors).
i was thiking i could just pattern the upper hole again (2 instances on each side) and then both new holes again 3x120°.

is such course of action doable in wf 3 or 4?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a7633bfc-1e07-410c-9738-a20ed7d42f1f&file=hole.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

EDIT: it's not.
the closest i've come so far is to create three separate holes and then pattern them in separate patterns.
is there any way to break an existing pattern? i haven't found it.

Create your second set of holes using the axis of the first holes as the reference and create datum plane through the first hole and the axis of the plate to set the orientation of the holes then pattern the holes. You now group the second set of holes and the datum you created then pattern the group.
Edit the pattern and switch of the holes you do want to shown by clicking the black dot of the pattern so it turns white.

You can do a pattern table but it's not too simple. The better choce is to do a copy & Paste use Edit Paste special or Right click if that's been added. Copy paste allows you to make the compies tied to original dims but can be modified later if you choose to.
which allows you to Translate/Rotate mind you it defaults to translate.

Advanced Reference Positioning allows you to select new references for place ment based on the original refs. I'll try to take some screen shots of the process. Family tables on the other hand are valuable tools. Another option is to make a point Not Reference points the ones that become pnt# on creation. Last time I checked there were line centerline 2tan ref point point and Reference axis(geometry centerline)

RE: Inside hole if you are using that dtm2 tangent to cylinder remember to use thru next as depth in 2nd direction or do a two sided blind >= to depth of hole into solid. Other method is to make a point on the surface or offset from distance along axis and use a coaxial hole.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

If you create the first hole using a radius and angle then a pattern table would be the simplest way. The pattern table would be in polar coordinates because the leading feature was created in polar coordinates.

Tunalover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back