Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Patterns of features in rolled sheet metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belgium

Mechanical
May 26, 2003
BE
Dear,

I have a problem:

We manufacture a lot of parts in rolled sheet metal where we cut out some features. The amount is linked to the length of the plate.
My problem is that I can't make a pattern of my feature in sheet metal.
Other question is: What is the best way to work in rolled sheet metal? There are a lot of errors in the fold/unfold when I want to cut-out features,....

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have taken a nearly-closed tube, unfolded it, put in a pattern of holes, and folded it back into a tube. From what I can tell, everything you are describing is possible in SW 2003 SP1.0.

I can send you a sample file, if you wish. Also, I could examine your file if you care to send it. Contact me at the email address in my profile if you like (don't send files right away, though).

[bat]There's no double-lock defense; there's no chain on my door.
And I'm available for consultation,
but remember your way in is also my way out
[bat]

When making cylindrical sheet metal you can create it 2 different ways but your sketch profile is always the same:

1) Start a sketch that represents the shape of a "C". The ends of the "C" shape can be very close as long as they don't touch.

2) Extrude using Base Flange - Give it a thickness and length.
3) Once extruded you should only need to Suppress Flat-pattern to unroll it.

2) Extrude using Boss\Base and make a thin feature
3) Once extruded thin - Click on Insert bends and pick the outside edge of the shape and click OK.
4) Once Insert bends are in place you only need to Suppress or rollback Process-Bends

When adding anything to the Base Flange type you have to have Flat-pattern suppress, but since you have to have the sheet metal flat to insert a cut shape you have to use "Unfold". Once your done with that operation you have to fold it back and the way to do that is use "Fold".

When adding anything to Insert bends you only need to rollback process bends and add your features.

I hope that helps,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [elephant2][worm]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back