Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pavement Management System 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cve2007036

Geotechnical
Sep 27, 2014
US
I have a task of developing a Pavement Management System and have been asked to start developing the network of the roads (about 100 roads) to include Arterial, Major collectors and Minor Collectors. What do I need consider? How do I begin? Thanks for your anticipated response

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you starting from scratch? There are several commercial packages on the market.

If you're in the US, your roads should already have designated functional classes (arterial, collector, etc). Ask your MPO if you have one, or state DOT planning department if you're in a rural area. Our DOT sends us an inventory of our roads annually so we can verify our mileage.

Then check the functional classes to make sure they make sense. For example, we have an intersection where the "local" road carries twice as much traffic as the "collector." The functional classes in your PM system should match reality, not what some bureaucrat says the road is.

The next step is braking the roads into segments, based on pavement type and condition, traffic types and volumes, etc.

Thank you ACtrafficengr. I am actually starting from the scratch and trying to develop something in excel spreadsheet first then later Access. The reason why I don't want any available commercial package is because of easy customization. I was some very creative ideas which I want built into mine and above all I want to be very original. Thank you for helping me get started...Please you can share any other useful information here as regards the topic or links. I appreciate your effort.

While I applaud your enthusiasm, I would warn you that customized software, however appealing or capable, becomes a massive burden down the line, particularly if the original author is no longer available or willing.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

I was faced with the same task about seven years ago. I used a program from Iworqs and still use it today. It is web based and extremely affordable. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back