Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pay for drafting.modelling,detailing? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

naresh843

Mechanical
Mar 27, 2007
IN
hi all
i want to know average cost for a detailing,drafting,modelling job?how do they do pay hour basis? sheet basis?? no of sheet basis??does it defers from continent to others? i am working for a mnc we do detailing,drafting,modelling to US,europeon countries..its my intention to know how do the process go...i feel that my company is extracting more work and gaining a lot...pay less..

UG NX5,SOLID WORKS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Naresh:

Most CAD jobs I have had pay on an hourly basis, with the understanding that I put in a full week of work. Sometimes I had to work more hours than I billed just to get the job done and not scare away the client.

I have only had one job where I was paid based on the number of "drawing packages" I completed. I was taking old AutoCAD drawings, modeling them in Pro/E and making new drawings as per the client's standards.

In both cases: The work in the beginning is usually slower, since you need to get accustomed to the clients' standards and requirements. There may be multiple iterations on the first drawing before you get it to the customers' liking, especially when you are just starting out. If you are clever about it, you can set up templates, shortcuts and other tricks that make the work go faster [red]without sacrificing drawing quality and accuracy[/red]. When that happens, the work that you do later on will go by much quicker. But this only works well when there are a lot of drawings to do, since the time you invest in setting everything up is "paid back" by being more efficient later on.

I'm sorry, I can't give you specific advice about pay rates in your part of the world, as I have never been (but would love to visit some day).

i feel that my company is extracting more work and gaining a lot...pay less..

That the story of my life, and the lives of many others here [smile]

justkeepgiviner

we do the same here ,,,but we need to be flexible..multiple customers in different softwares.working in one particular software is hectic now-a-days.so i feel that i have been giving much effort for less pay..any way thanks for your information...

UG NX5,SOLID WORKS

I can't divulge the specific numbers but we have one place we've used a little that has an office in South America. The rate there is around $20 give or take a fair bit depending on volume and other factors. How much of this the actual drafter see I don't know.

We are nominally charged by the hour. However, when we give them a pack we estimate the number of hours and they agree and that then becomes the price for that package, I believe.

However, the amount of administration required on our side, and some of the difficulty getting packs prepared to our requirements means that we aren't giving them as much as some here had anticipated.

I'm not clear if you're asking how much you should be paid for drafting or how much your company should charge - obviously not the same thing.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

All I can tell you is that there are companies in India that offer CAD services (no engineering design) for as little as $10/hr. In the USA a full time CAD operator get paid $25 to $30 per hr (on average) plus company benefits. The clients are usually charged at $70 to $80/hr depending on the complexity of the work.

If you offer something more than plain CAD you can get more.

Rbulsara, I've seen CAD operators in the US paid a lot less than you list, the lowest I recall was around $15 an hour but that was a couple years ago and I can't recall the details.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

$25-30 you're talking more of a machine designer/engineer level.

I've seen most pay for just CAD detailer ~$10-15 where I've worked at. Not including benefits of course.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

Plus for designers with more than 7-8 yrs of experience, I should say. Yes, they are part designers, a little more than just drawing lines and objects.

rbulsara, I was talking California prices, not cheap either.

There is a wide pay range depending on the area, CAD system, other duties...

However, I've seen quite a few jobs advertized down around the $15 dollar mark.

KENAT,

Over here in Oz we'd pay around 30-40 bucks an hour, maybe 50 for a senior guy (Exchange rate is about 0.7) for our (few remaining) in-house contract drafters. On another project I found that this was more efficient than a $15/hour outsourced O/S CAD, as a good drafter is 4-10 times as productive as an average one, and of course infinitely more productive than a nuff-nuff. I estimate that managing an offsite drafter is probably a 10-20% hit.

To be honest my experience with Indan CAD guys is that 90+% are graduates who did a CAD course and have a copy of the student software at home, and will work, enthusiastically but without result, for $3/h. Of the remaining 10% most seem to be experienced front men who can talk the talk, and then hand the job to a dusty room full of the same graduates as above, who actually do the work. Perhaps I am a cynic.

In one case I put a job out for quote and got responses ranging from "I'll do it if you teach me how", to 40 hours (from a $15/h man). I did it myself in 4 hours.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Greg, sadly it appears your second paragraph description covers a lot of 'CAD guys' from various geographic locations.

naresh843, it may not be the case for you, but often Cad guys/jockeys/monkeys etc. may know more of less what button to push on the software but know little or nothing of the skills required to draft or model well capturing design intent, addressing things like tolerancing and basic engineering/design issues & comine up with robust product definition. To me that is little more than a minimum wage job, not much more complex than knowing what buttons to press on the register in a retail store.

I want a drafter/designer who uses CAD as a tool, I don't want a 'CAD guy', it's one reason I dislike my current title of 'CAD Engineer' (apparantly picked off of some salary survey somewhere with no real thought to what I actually do).

15-20 years ago would I have been a 'drafting table engineer' or 'pencil engineer' or 'eraser shield engineer' etc.?

Sorry, a bit off topic but the difference is significant, some of the really experienced designers here, without a degree, are making about the same $ as me. A CAD jockey would be lucky to be making half.

KENAT,

Thanks to all for sugestions...

But scenario over here in india is totally different,,,none of the indian companies hire the employees for hour basis..its very rare we find companies like this...
And as per my knowledge some of companies pay still like hour basis and its pay is $5/hr (average).A perfect designer gets 20$/hr atmost..i think its very low...compare to other countries

Its still decreased now a days due market crisis...

UG NX5,SOLID WORKS

naresh, most 'direct' (working for a company rather than as some kind of contracter) drafting jobs in the UK & US aren't hourly but salaried. However the equivalent hourly rate is in the ranges mentioned above.

KENAT,

Considering my last task before being downsized was to prepare my complete Pro-E model that I'd been working on for 3 years to send to India to create break-down drawings, this is a sour subject for me. Normally, we do all of the design work, shop drawings and assembly drawings here, but our new owners see things differently.
I know you make a lot less than we do here. I don't know your living conditions, work conditions, or anything about the Indian taxes, government or anything.
The Chinese are baing taken advantage of at the expense of US jobs. I think to a certain extent Indians are also.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back