Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PBT Chemical Resistance to 5 percent acetic acid solution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvelliky

Materials
May 21, 2009
US
I have a food contact application and want to use PBT @ .8 mils. The application is a pickle jar closure. Predictive test protocol demands placing the closure in a 212F five percent acetic alcohol / two percent NaCl solution, then allowing to cool to 120F for thirty days. Will PBT survive.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without referring to published data, I say it will do it easy however you should look up the manufacturers chemical resistance charts.

From memory, manufacturers are:-

GE/Sabic with Valox
Bayer with Pocan
DSM with Arnite T
Ticona with ? (Maybe Duranex or Hostadur)
BASF with Ultradur.
DuPont with Crastin

There are more, but they escape my mind now.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Go to the supermarket and checkout what they are using for vinegar containers. Better yet buy a few different brands and checkout the cap liners.
also thee people that supply you with cap liners should be able to tell you right off.

I have only seen PBT used for tooth paste cap liners because of its excellent flavor scalping properties. The caps on my vinegar bottle are I believe PP with a foam wad. Probably PE foam.

Certainly PET has excellent resistance to acids, up to and including boiling strong sulphuric. I presume but have not confirmed PBT is similar.

I also expect PP would work for this and wonder why PBT is specified.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back