Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCB Corrosion Gold- Aluminum 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManuelGG

Industrial
Jun 12, 2008
ES
Hello,
I have a enquire, We are designing a PCB and we are not sure what is the better finish for it.
In the external sides of the PCB I have to areas in which I am going to fix to aluminum parts. The usual termination for the PCB is Nickel+ external gold plated surface. Like gold and aluminum are dissimilar metals, We are thinking on require this areas without gold (only nickel) What do you think?. I think it would be interesting to considered the following cases:
PCB termination:
- ENIG (Nickel+ gold)
- Nickel (without gold)
Protection:
- Nothing
-Conformal coating
Part in contact with PCB:
-Aluminum without treatment
-Anodized aluminum
-Aluminum with a conversion treatment (Iridite, Alodine)
The screws used to fix the aluminum part to the PCB will be stainless steel screw (is it necessary to isolate the head of the screw from the PCB? Fixation scheme: screw-PCB-aluminum part
The environemt for the PCB´s I am talking about is inside of a electronic rack, that could be in a building ( not outside exposition). This rack is not sealed from the ambient.
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Considering the two are at opposite ends of the reactivity table, you need a buffer of some form or another. Nickel coating, Iridite, etc. If you hook those two together and there is any moisture in the air, expect some severe corrosion over the years...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

'Purple', at least in the English language. [wink]

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Thank your for yours responses . Then if I treat the aluminum part (in conctact with gold)With some of the following treatment, the result will be O.K? Will not have corrosion?
-Hard anodized
-Iridite (is this treatment O.K) I´ll have direct electrical contact. What is the galvanic potential for aluminum with iridite?
- Nickel plated .
Could you mark me the preference order of these three treatments?
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back