Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCBs and Gas Chromatography Question. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llanfair

Chemical
Jul 21, 1999
CA
Hello all, <br>
<br>
I am doing a paper on using Gas Chromatography for the analysis of PCBs in a sample on pond sediment.<br>
What sort of column to use, which detector is best and why, etc? <br>
<br>
I've been searching for info and I thought I'd try the forum community as well.<br>
<br>
Does anyone have any good ideas on where to find information, or has anyone any experience with this<br>
sort of analysis?<br>
<br>
Any info would be greatly appreciated.<br>
<br>
Many thanks,<br>
<br>
Owen Lewis<br>
Chem-Eng, University of Toronto.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

LLanfair<br>
I've done a bit of work with GC long ago but the d=info is still current (I think). The type of column you use depends on what else is in the sample soup. Temperature and sample through put as well as turndown among samples will also be factors. FOr low concentrations (envoronmental levels) a GC MS or EC would be best.<br>
The best information would come from Hewlett Packard or Perkin Elmer. Each has a help line with technical tyoes who will have the exact info you need right at hand<br>
Hope this helps<br>
Regards

I have done some analysis of pcb's in contaminated soils. I found that the only reliable way of measuring them was with GC-MS. If you goto the sigma-aldrich web site ( you can download technical papers on the best setup (column, carrier gas flow rates, temperature etc. Hope that helps.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back