Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDF's missing dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticcatmatt

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2005
US
We save all of our drawings to PDF that get stored onto an AS400. Everyone on the floor can use the AS400 to retrieve the PDF's to view.

For some reason, we lose dimensions on the PDF's from time to time. If we re save it, they are restored.

Sometimes, all dimensions are missing from the print.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2007 SW SP 5.0 X64

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Arctic,

I have had the same problem with using Solidworks. Occasionally, PDF files would carry false images and/or lose dimensions. This problem diminished significantly after the transition from 2007-2008, although I wouldn't recommend upgrading just for that feature.

Another method that seemed to work with the bug was to save the file again and then print or save to PDF again. That's about my limit of knowing why Solidworks is quirky with PDFs. Good luck!

Kyle Chandler

"To the Pessimist, the glass is half-empty. To the Optimist, the glass is half-full. To the Engineer, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!"

I have also notice leader lines that go astray.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

For some reason, we lose dimensions on the PDF's from time to time. If we re save it, they are restored.

We used to have problems with missing dims until everybody was disciplined to Ctrl+Q a drawing. We "Save as PDF" and do not print to PDF.

"Save as PDF" is a must here because we use mixed sheet sizes in a drawing. In other words a drawing has both A landscape and B landscape sheets. Save as PDF automatically saves each sheet to their appropriate size whereas print to PDF either saves ALL sheets to A size or all to B size.

Flores

Thank you for the responses.

We will be upgrading to 2009 when it comes out.

I had a drawing that was doing it yesterday. I looked for "print to PDF" and I could not figure out how to do that.

Tried the forced rebuild of cntrl + Q and resaved it to my desktop as a test. Dimensions still missing. 4 times later all dimensions were there.

Well at least I see others have had the problem and not just us.

Also, make sure that you use a common font, and set your print option to black & white

Colin Fitzpatrick (aka Macduff)
Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2008 SP 3.1
Dell 490 XP Pro SP 2
Xeon CPU 3.00 GHz 3.00 GB of RAM
nVida Quadro FX 3450 512 MB
I'm just a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. Pink Floyd, was neither Pink nor Floyd. Discuss!--“Coffee Talk” Mike Myers SNL

Good point solidjnke. Also, set assemblies and model to resolve. Having it set at light weight my cause issues too.

Colin Fitzpatrick (aka Macduff)
Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2008 SP 3.1
Dell 490 XP Pro SP 2
Xeon CPU 3.00 GHz 3.00 GB of RAM
nVida Quadro FX 3450 512 MB
I'm just a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. Pink Floyd, was neither Pink nor Floyd. Discuss!--“Coffee Talk” Mike Myers SNL

There are settings in File/Print/PDF. Click on the Adobe PDF Settings tab, go to 'default settings' then select the 'edit' button.
I don't know if this helps, but there are a lot of settings that may help get what you need. I have Acrobat Pro, so I don't know if your settings are different.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 06/08
ctopher's home (updated Jul 13, 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back