Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDM system used with Solid Edge???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny_G

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2003
US
I'm interested in hearing user feedback about PDM systems they are using with Solid Edge. I'm interested in the following systems:
Teamcenter
Agile
Enovia (Smarteam)
Windchill

If you use one of these systems and don't manage SE data, please tell me why, but if you do, please let me know your issues, speed at which the vendor updates for new SE versions, and general user opinion of the system.

Thanks,

Ken G.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Never used a PDM system with Solid Edge.
However I am using Enovia with Catia V5 and in my opinion its garbage - or the combination of the two is.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Ken, we are currently implementing Team Center Engineering 8. The problem is getting the right version of Solid Edge and Team Center installed at the same time since we are still in production using SE v20. Otherwise, the release of each is timed pretty well and typically support two or three versions of eachother.

For example:
ST3 works with TC 2007, 8.1, 8.3, and TC-Express 5.3.
ST2 works with TC 2007, 8.1; & 8.3 with a MP.

It is hard keeping track because Siemens never really publishes a quick-reference matrix of compatibility.

Our "Chief Implementor" has been having problems with the SE to TC integration though because she is used to all the integration available with NX. SEEC just doesn't cut it, yet.

--Scott

I've been working with Dan and Gary to become a beta site so we can test out ST3 and put it into our implementation plan. I love SE. Where else can the customer talk directly to the VPs and Directors to help resolve their issues?

I'm really looking forward to ST3. But, rolling it out isn't going to be as easy as installing a new version. We have so many work-arounds as part of our standard operating procedures in order to meet our drawing requirements that we really need to review ST3 thoroughly to utilize its new, time-saving features. I don't want just carry over the same bad habits. Lots of testing, lots of training, not even talking about Synch Tech or the UI. And that is on top of everything we have to do to roll out Team Center.

--Scott

Hi there,
we are running Teamcenter Express V4.1.1 with SE ST2.
It's working ok, but we are still sorting out some issues.
Let me know if you're still interested in feedback.
It doesn't seem as though our combination is very common.

Best regards,

Ane

We've been using Smarteam together with SE for over 10 years and are currently on SE-V19 and ST-V5R17. Plus we also have an in house made Smarteam web viewer, that the production planning is using for printing drawings and BOMs etc.
We've had a lot of customization done to Smarteam which historically has had a tendency to stop working after an upgrade, that is why we are still several years behind in software versions. Hopefully we will upgrade to ST2 within a month.

When I started working at the company 10 years ago, 7 design engineers created 7500 new cad document and revised 2500 cad documents per year. I don't know how we would have managed that without a proper PDM system, we couldn't be more happy with it.
Unfortunately next year our parent company will force us to switch to Salad Works together with IFS as combined ERP/PDM system, thank god I won't be working at the design department then...

Ken,

My company develops a Solid Edge integration for Windchill that allows a Solid Edge use to leverage Windchill functionality (check in, check out, save to windchill, open from windchill, etc.) from within the Solid Edge session.

I may be biased, but I believe Windchill is a better PLM solution. If you decided to go with Windchill, we offer an integrated solution for quickly getting your Solid Edge data into Windchill.

-Kyle

Hi,

I started a thread regarding Teamcenter and SE in the UGS: Unigraphics (UG/NX) forum: thread561-284354.

Best regards,

Ane
MSc Mechanical engineeering & ICT

Ken,
DDM is much more than a 'CAD Manager'.
DDM brings the following tools/benefits to your company.

Document Management/Revision Control on all your Doc's.
Project based Management.
Process Management coupled with Graphical Workflow Tools.
ECN/ECO Control
BOM Management.
Release Management.
Automatic PDF Drawing Creation.
Configurable Auto Part Numbering.
Read Only Secure Web Based Access to your Engineering Data.
Replicated File Servers.
Replicated Database Tools.

The latest version of DDM supports ST1, ST2 & ST3.

Regards,

Simon

Simon, I realize that it does more than just checking in/out files, and I guess I could have been more clear about my needs. I'm looking for a system that is "Item" based, where several files or no files can be attached to the Item as datasets. I need those Items to support the concept of "Forms" so that metadata can be attached and independently revised without being in another document. I need a BOM tool that supports non-modeled items as well as modeled items and has the ability to specify optional items as well as variant bills. I also need to have a BOM tool that incorporates a configuration engine to set up BOM configuration rules based on marketing options and engineering constraints.

When a system does not use the concept of an item, then it is file centric, and the files are the object of management. That is what I meant when I called DDM a CAD manager. I think of PDM as what I described above. I currently have a file centric management system, but I need a product centric management system capable of managing all product data, most of which is not "file based".

Ken G.

Hello Ken,
Please look at our ERP system at There is the brief description of its core functionality. I believe that it has what you are looking for. Web info is about 9 months old and since that we were quite busy putting in more to keep our customers happy.
It as by directional associativity to Solid Edge, Solidworks and Autocad.
I am looking forward for any questions or comments you may have.

Regards,
Milan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back