Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDM works server references.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tap90291

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2002
US
We are just getting started with pdmworks. I just loaded some select assys into pdmworks on a dedicated server. When I try and open and resolve the assy it is reaching back to the old server location for the file definition, If I delete the old files there is nothing there to resolve, pdm works is not trying to open the files from the new server, when I loaded the files I had my VAR here and he set up everything, (I have sent him an e-mail as well) we got no errors etc. What gives, anybody elese seen this type of problems.

TAP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TAP,
From my understanding, PDM server has a name, let’s call it “Stanly”. On your network you cannot have two servers called Stanly. I believe SolidWorks puts everyone’s server name onto the CD’s. This means the name you originally gave your server will have to be the name of the server. To test this idea, name your server as the original. Then remove the old server off the network.
Good luck,

Bradley

I'm not sure if this the same thing but here's my penny's worth....When I'm using PDMW, I turn off "Search file locations for external references", TOOLS>>OPTIONS>>SYS OPTIONS>>EXT REF's. Although PDMW checks out the assembly and its referenced parts to your check out folder, its my understanding that SW will still try to resolve the assembly references, that were saved in the file before it was checked in. Turning off this option in SW stops it from searching these "old" locations. The search order is outlined in the SW2004 "File Management" training manual. Page 45. If you have a filepath to a project folder on the server defined in FILE LOCATIONS>>REFERNCED DOC's, it could be getting the parts via this?

Where are you having your files saved when you open or check out? It doesn't sound like a PDM Works issue, more of a I'm not using my local hard drive to work on files? Take a look at that.

John

I think I found the problem, my system was opening the assys lightweight, when it resolved them it was looking back at the old location. I had removed the files from the old location and changed the setting to open the assys resolved from pdmworks and everything seemed to be fine, my VAR is checking to see if he can duplicate the problem.

Thanks
TAP

Where do make the change to resolve assembies from PDMWorks? I am having the same trouble that when I check out a file from another station it can't find references.

It sounds to me like some or all of the references in your assembly are not being checked out with the assembly, therefore they don't exist on your hard drive, therefore Solidworks is finding them in the last place they were found. PDMWorks is a file management tool only, opening and resolving files is done in Solidworks, hence Solidworks settings would apply to those operations, not PDMWorks settings.

Solidworks has an algorithm it uses to resolve references, which you can find in the Help under "Searching for Referenced Documents". (though PDMWorks tweaks these references somewhat to look in the folder you download the file in to before it looks in the last place the files were saved).

The first thing I would try in order to fix your problem would be to trace the steps in that document and figure out at which point the files you want to check out are not being found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back