Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pdm

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWscience

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2004
IR
I asked same question before , but I didn't find the solution.
I want to use one computer as pdm server for 2 different group (and then I should have two different admin and two pdmservice and two **different vault**), is it possible at all ? and if yes , how ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes it is possible, but would be too lengthy for me to explain here. I would suggest calling support and have them help set you up the way you like.

Why are you wanting to make life that complicated? Why not just create different folders for the various projects and set the permissions so that users on one project can't see files from the other? The only "gotcha" here is that you have to make sure there is ZERO cross-over of files between the two projects. (And if there is, create those files separately for each project. Painful, yes, but necessary.)

The whole idea behind PDM is data integrity, keeping your data safe and secure and whole, in one location. Just the idea of wanting to have two different vaults is un-nerving. It would be like hunting with a rifle, and once you found your prey, clubbing it with the rifle instead of shooting it.

Perhaps we are misunderstanding your question?

Ray Reynolds
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

SWscience,
Check with your VAR about this, but to my knowledge you cannot have two vaults on the same drive. When we purchased and installed PDM onto our server several years ago we had to give the name of the Server to PDM to get the license.

Bradley

Hello ctopher.
My var has no idea about this subject.
please help me shortly.
I want to use just 1 computer(it has 3 drive) for 3 vault.how?
please.

I checked with our IS dept.
They loaded 2 on 1 server. One for us and one for another bldg 400 miles away. After a few weeks when more users were logging in, it seemed to get stuck in loops. It was decided to remove one. I do not know details of how they did it, but they suggested it is not wise to do. Too complicated.

I am not quite sure your question, here is my suggestion:

First, do you know vault can be installed somewhere different from vault computer?

You can install several vaults on a shared drive with different names. But remember one vault computer only links to one vault. The vault computer is the one when you login you have to specify as the vault computer name.

Why don't use a different computer as the second vault computer, but install 2 vaults on your computer?

Lenew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back