Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDMWorks - bind ownership function

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolcad

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2004
US
We turned on the "bind ownership" feature in PDMWorks right after we upgraded to 2005. I love it. Some of my users are complaining that they are having trouble opening documents. I think it is because SW is converting the data from 2004 to 2005. That is why is takes so long. NOT because we turned on the "binding" function.

Can someone tell me EXACTLY what happens when the "binding" function is turned on? Does it slow down performance a little, a lot, a ton?

I need some info on this or they are going to make me turn off what I think is a really great feature.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have not run the conversion wizard yet. My IT guy is nervous about it. He has been told to do it soon.

Do you know exactly what PDMworks/SW does when binding is turned on?

We have been updating our vault as we can. I would not update the whole vault at once. It would take to long if you have too many parts. I have run the vault update during working hour and it locks the vault for short periods of time, seconds. It troubles the Engineers when they see vault is locked. I now do it after backup at night and only a folder at a time.

Bradley

Thanks for all your input. I am convinced that slow performance is NOT related to the "binding" switch but rather 2004 to 2005 conversion.

Our IT guy will have to run the wizard at night and I will suggest he do it in small batches.

glennwi,
Your PDM Administrator can run Update PDMWorks Files using “SolidWorks Task Scheduler” and set the project and time to start.
I would hope the IT guy is not the PDM Administrator. Our IT people are to busy to learn PDM.

Bradley

same here, IT and SW territory is blended, no one in total control. It's pretty scary, not to mention the random I'll upgrade to 2005 and start saving files before everyone else upgrades type fiascos....

We're hoping for PDMWorks soon. With 10+ users it's a directory-ownership nightmare.....

PDMWorks is a must. The hardest part is deciding project structure and whether to use lifecycles or not. Keep it simple at first. Do it as soon as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back