Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDMWorks check out 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctopher

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2003
US
We are not on EPDM, yet.
I want to block certain users from checking out drawings. I want them to only have the parts/assy's.
This way we can control who has rights to update drawings.
Anyone here have an idea how to do this?
My VAR doesn't know.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks '15
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can limit user access at the project level, so you could place the drawings in their own project / projects with a different set of user permissions than the project containing parts and assemblies. This would allow you to independently control who can edit models and who can edit drawings. Some people can only edit one, some people can only edit others, and some can do both.

Modelers could still create drawings. They would just have to check them in alongside the models. Then at the point where the drawing is released, it could be moved to the limited user project.

This is definitely not a seamless solution. Each new drawing will have to have its project explicitly set. They won't live under the associated part / assembly in the tree (maybe not a negative). It will basically double the number of projects that you have to manage in the vault.

Eric

Thanks Eric.
That's a good idea. I didn't think of moving the drawings to another project folder. That's easy to do.
We control drawings very tight. Only a select very few have access to released production drawings.
All new preliminary drawings are checked into a temp project. They are moved to the production project folder when released.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks '15
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

You could also add a custom property to the files like Group 1 group 2 group 3. Group 1 can edit solids, group 2 can edit solids and assemblies and group 3 can edit solids, assemblies and drawings.

I see a problem that I am not sure how you are going to get around, if someone edits the solid the drawing is going to update the next time it is opened anyway. How do you prevent that from happening?

GRF,
I don't want them (most users) to have any access to drawing files. They have no reason to update the models. Only one group is allowed to modify the models associated with drawings.
They can only use the models as reference to make tooling copy as new P/N's.
What I did on Friday is block all access to a Project Folder that includes all production models and associated drawings.
If any changes are needed, they write an ECN, mark up the production drawing, and submit it. A lot of drawings are ITAR, this is how we will control the drawing files so they cannot make their own changes.
Thanks.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks '15
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back