Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDMWorks Link to Revision Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatwire

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2003
US
I'm trying to figure out if I can link a revision table in my drawing to PDMWorks. What I'd like to do is have the user enter a description of what they've changed when they check a part into PDMWorks, and then have the drawing table update with the new rev and description. The rev table should also display all of the old revs and descriptions. I haven't been able to figure this one out using simple means, so I'm thinking it might not be possible. But if someone knows of a way to do it I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks again

jason

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know about the revision table part of it, but there is a real simple way if all you want to display is the current revision and the last description of change. The change history is maintained through PDMWorks if anyone wants to look it up. However, I know some still like to see the entire history on the drawing. I'm thinking a simple API would solve your, and my, predicament as I've been asked to find a way to do what your asking as well. Hope someone out there can help us both.

From what I can tell, presently what's available through the PDMWorks API (BTW Advanced Server is required in order to use it) is insufficient to pull off the type of automation routine you're talking about. I've spent some time looking into doing something similar to this recently and found that the PDMWorks API is still immature right now. It seems to be mostly setup for reporting and such and does not have much in the way of exposed methods, etc. from what I've seen.

However, I will share with you what I think the algorithm to do what you're after ought to look like (in case I'm wrong and it is possible). Basically it should a macro/application that does the following:

[ul]
[li]Launches with the "checkin" event of PDMWorks[/li]

[li]Waits for the user to enter the notes[/li]

[li]Detects when the user completes their checkin routine (i.e. clicks "checkin")*[/li]

[li]Suspends PDMWorks checkin routine actions*[/li]

[li]Fires a sequence of SW API commands (enters revision and note info in rev block, saves the drawing)[/li]

[li]Resume PDMWorks checkin routine actions*[/li]

[li]Exits allowing PDMWorks to complete checkin sequence[/li]

* The PDMWorks API doesn't appear to give us a way of doing this right now
[/ul]

So automationbabe is correct in that it really isn't a very complicated API but without being to give the application a way of "knowing" when a checkin occurs it's not currently feasible IMO. It's not an impractical request to make (ability to link PDMWorks and Revision table) either IMO. I imagine that the capability will be available at some point.

Chris Gervais
Sr. Mechanical Designer
Lytron Corp.

I looked into integrating the revision table and PDMWorks - it's not really possible. The revision table is not smart enough to let PDMWorks control the revision number, it keeps trying to change it. We settled on only showing the details of the latest revision in the title block, and not even using the revision table. Since the full revision history is stored in PDMWorks, there is little need to keep it on the drawing.

I think that a macro to control the revision table is a bit brute-force, and not a terribly robust way of doing things. Slightly off topic, but my feeling is that macros should only be used to automate manual procedures. If the macro craps out, then there is still the manual method as a backup.

I suggest creating a new revision table of your own as part of the title block, which uses the custom properties. The revision history is then available in PDMWorks and the check in note can be used to provide additonal information that is not on the drawing. Since the revision table will have a fixed number of revision "slots" you may wish to write macro that moves the revision history along one to give you room to enter the new revision info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back