PE-Exam question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuche1973

Structural
Apr 29, 2008
US
Ok this one is for fun:
I am studying for the new combined 16 hour structural exam. While reading the introductory chapter to one of my review books, I found the following under the heading “Prepare for the Worst”:
“Imagine the distraction of someone crying…”
At first I burst out laughing, then thought, “Wait, what the heck am I getting into here?”. "What kind of test is this?"

This was part of the paragraph describing distractions that may occur during the test. When I took the FE several years ago we had a guy get tossed because his cell phone went off. It was set on vibrate. However, the room was so quiet the phone may as well have been set to “monastery gong”. Anyone else have any adventures to share?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had a mumbler in front of me at the PE. He had a milk crate full of books, and every question he would start with the "I know I have that. I know it's here somewhere" and start banging around in his crate I thought I was going to cry after 8 hours of that). I talked to him at lunch and he said it was his 5th time taking the test, and he was sure that he was doing good this time. He also said that he had had to guess on the last 50 questions because he ran out of time. I'm thinking that he ended up taking the test again after that.

David

Took SE test in a large hotel in downtown Chicago (SE was only 12 hours in those days). On the second day, I got stuck in a massive traffic jam. So instead of being a half hour early, I was 5 minutes late. Of course, I was extremely panicked. So I pulled up to the valet parking, had a valet park my car and had a porter help me with my books. I must of looked like Van Wilder having a servant helping me into the test. I tipped the porter and started the test. The whole operation turned a few heads.
But I passed.

I had a pencil-tapper right behind me. Fortunately, the proctor stepped in after about 30 continuous minutes of tap-tap-tap. I think someone behind the tapping offender waved for help.

Good on y'all,

Goober Dave

I took an FAA exam with a guy who used a mini mechanical calculator. It went clickety-clickety for two hours. I would have complained, but maybe it was a plant. The FAA is known for providing tests under challenging conditions.

I took my PE with a red wagon full of books. It made the local newspapers. Better than carrying all that. The current style of using a wheeled luggage carrier would help.

my earplugs saved me! I don't need to hear anything or anyone's noises - when I'm that focused (and stressed!), even loud breathing can make me mad. the first time I took the test, I was 8.75 months pregnant and had to pee literally 9 times during the test. luckily, I was in the back on the end, so I only gave the proctor a workout.

just think about those things that make you cranky when you're stressed, and come up with a plan for how to deal with them if they happen in the test. you'll be fine.

In Denver, the exam is usually given where the stock show, and Colorado's largest dog show is held. Imagine taking the the exam with a smell only a rancher could appreciate.

Thats funny. I grew up on a cattle ranch in rural Colorado. When I took the FE I had bruised ribs (golden gloves). Sitting for 8 hours was extremely painful.

I can't say I noticed anything during the FE or the PE. I have a bit of an uncanny knack for being able to get lost in what I'm doing and block out even very loud noises to where I don't ignore them, but I don't even know they're there.

My "wife" used to hate this about me.

My mother was married and divorced 5 times. After number 5, I told her "You're just ruining lives now."

My wife and I have been married for 17 years, together for 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back