Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PE Exam Review questions 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCCaryME

Mechanical
Aug 1, 2003
US
I am scheduled to take the Mechanical Engineering PE Exam this coming spring, and I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on how I go about studying.

I've signed up for Professional Publication's "Passing Zone" program ( where they give you questions and have a forum available to ask questions. I think I need some additional instruction/review, however. Classes are out of the question since I am working in a remote area and none are available. ASME offers a "live" internet class for around $800, or a 16-DVD recorded review for around $600. Has anyone had any experience with either of these? What about something I've overlooked? Does anyone have a used copy of the ASME DVD set for sale?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Scott

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did the Mechanical PE two years ago. I began studying in January for the April test. This is enough time if you are able to stay focused and spend at least 10-15 hours per week. Even then, I struggled through the test (but passed!)
I didn't take any courses, but I purchased the MERM which has a recommended study outline. I think the book is an excellent investment, I still refer to it all the time. I don't think expensive courses will make you successful as long as you have the discipline to work through all the topics on your own.

You will definitely want to take your preparation seriously. It's impossible to over-prepare for it. There are too many people who have to repeat the long and expensive process. Best of luck to you.

naygoo,

in response to your questions, no i have not taken any online or asme pe exam review courses. personnally, i would likely not find them useful in that they most likely do not teach the fundamentals, but do learn "how to solve particular problems".

i did purchase the Mechanical Engineering PE review manual written by M. R. Lindeburg, which i now use an occasional reference.

preparation is essential and allow time, daily if possible, to refresh yourself with the fundamentals and learn how to apply them. you cannot predict nor plan for questions that may/may not be on the pe exam; therefore, learn the fundamentals and how to apply them.

suggestions, pick your favorite subjects, be it thermo, fluids, etc. and study them. leave the less desirable subject matters alone or spend minimal time refreshing yourself. clarify units of measurement and your conversions (you need to observe this on the exam).

when i took the exam, it was 2-4 hour sessions with one session being a multiple choice and the other session being your own work (essay type). i understand (?) that now the exam is all multiple choice, which only benefits the graders (a computer). i now see seasoned individuals (meaning non-practicing degreed engrs of near retirement) taking the exam for various reasons, but i believe mainly due to the fact that the exam is now all a multiple choice exam. my have times changed.

oh, i also remember individuals bringing to the exam little red wagons or multiple backpacks full of textbooks and they likely never used them. a good reference manual and handbook would likely be all you need to bring, but that is your choice and you need to be comfortable with what you believe you need.

with i wish you good luck and happy studying! by the way, being in a remote location does have its advantages, provided that you have resources or access to obtain them.

-pmover

The NCEES has a bunch of practice tests available:

[These are the guys who write the real exams] ~$55 for the ME practice test. This will give you an idea of what to expect.

If you do "real" engineering in a small company, you probably know all you need already, since it's what you do everyday.

If you spend all day in meetings or work at a mega-corp, where you design just 1 widget, then a review course is a good idea.

I took the test ~15 yrs ago, & almost got a hernia toting every book I owned up the stairs - & I only needed a couple. Like pmover sez, just bring a couple of good basic ones [mark's hdbk, machine design book, etc] that you're familiar with. [that wway you can have good references for any assumed values, etc.]

The test was quite similar to the NCEES practice book back then.

Lotsa guys sign up for the review courses, but how many actually finish them?

I followed the same path as McCormick93 for the October 2002 test - I worked every problem in MERM, took the NCEES practice exam in two 4 hour sessions (turned the phone off and threatened the kids with maiming if they interupted). I went into the test with considerable confidence and passed without taking a course or paying for the Passing Zone.

The ME test is all multiple choice now and I took MERM (75% of the things I looked up where there), Crane 410 (about 10%), Cameron Hydraulic Data (about 10%, the steam tables in there were perfect for the test, don't waste your money on high-dollar steam tables unless you use them in your work every day), and Marks Handbook (the remaining 5%).

I used the new stiff post-it tags with lables for the start of chapters in MERM and Marks, and tags for each letter of the alphabet in both indexes. I allowed myself 5 minutes for each question and every half hour I skipped ahead to where I should be (at 8:30 I should have been on question 6, I was on 4, so I guessed at 5, made a note for myself, and went back to it at the end). I had plenty of time to re-visit all the skipped questions at the end.

I'd like to caution you about Arto's comments - any "working engineer" has settled into an area of expertise that is pretty narrow to prepare you for a test this broad. I ended up doing worse in my niche-area than I did in the areas I studdied hardest in.

Pmover's advice to focus on the stuff you already know best is very good advice. If you're taking the Fluids and Thermo afternoon spend about 1/2 your study time on these questions. I blew past HVAC in my study and it was a big piece of the morning exam (you have to know the pscyrometric chart cold). Mechinisms just about wasn't represented on that particular test.

Good luck.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

I also passed the exam without taking an expensive review course. I have heard good things about PPI's passing zone but I personally did not use it. I looked very seriously at buying the ASME review stuff but decided that my time and money were better spent on references and working problems. You already have MERM, which you will use for most questions. In the front is a recommended study schedule. I modeled a study schedule based on that and then just stuck to it. I spent a few hours per day studying and working problems and 4-8 hours on Saturday with an occassional weekend break scattered through my 3 month study schedule. Sunday's were never study time. I concentrated heavily on thermo/fluids stuff (I took the thermo/fluids afternoon section), a little less on HVAC and glossed over the machine design stuff. The only thing I would do different is spend more time on HVAC.

MERM, Cameron Hydraulic Data (or Crane's TP-410) and ASHRAE handbook of fundamentals will answer most questions for you but unlike the other advice, I advise you to take in any book which will make you more comfortable. If you don't use it big deal but if you need it and don't have it you will be sorry. Good luck!

Adding in my 2 cents worth. I took and passed the exam in April 2000 and did so with only self study.

I strongly recommend the MERM. I studied out of that book for about 5 months, about 5-10 hours a week, and that was the only reference book I used in the exam. I also had a small steam table book that included a Molier Diagram that was a life saver.

A little self-discipline and dedication is all you need to study for the test on your own.

Scott-

My suggestion is to get MERM and work every chapter and problem in the book over the course of 3-4 months. Also, get the NCEES sample test and take it about 1 month before the PE exam.

I did all of this and took a review course at the University of Dayton. The review course was not too much help, although it was good to discuss problems with other engineers. Your PassingZone membership should afford you the same benefits.

I took the PE exam in April 2003 and passed. Also, be sure to have most of the references listed in the MERM and use them throughout your studies. Being familiar with your references is a especially useful.

Brian

The PE Review Manual by Lindeburg is a good reference, but with it I would recommend purchasing the "Engineering Unit Conversions" (also by Lindeburg). It's a great reference in daily work also. Good Luck with the exam - it's well worth the effort!

If I recall correctly, the practice problems in MERM are given in English and metric units. It is important to be proficient in both, particularly when it comes to units of lbf and lbm. I never used these units in school, but I'm glad I took the time learning how to juggle them like an expert.

Units are critical, but the test is supposed to be all in imperial units. I'm not sure why every question in MERM is stated twice (once in Imperial and once in Metric), but I just ignored the Metric in my study. There were a couple of questions on the test I took that slipped in a metric reference, but they were really straight forward.

Being proficient in lbm and lbf is really valuable.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

By and large good advice; however I do disagree with a few of arto's statements--
1) "If you do "real" engineering in a small company, you probably know all you need already, since it's what you do everyday."
This is highly generalized. I am a "real" engineer, but my focus is heavily on solid mechanics and mechanisms. I did not regret studying fluids, engineering economy, and other subjects. If I had gone in with no preparation on these subjects, I would not have passed (you should refresh yourself on enough subjects to pass).
2) "just bring a couple of good basic ones [books]"
I brought about a dozen books--some general references along with some specific books "just in case". The morning session was skewed with subjects which I didn't study in-depth for, and it turned out that one book that I brought "just in case" ended up saving my butt on one of the written exam questions (which was 1/4 of the a.m. session's points). Consider the cost-benefit: you've already prepared tens or hundreds of hours with study, spent a fair chunk of change, and given up a Saturday. If you don't need the extra books, the only harm done is that you've carried extra books for a few blocks. However, you need a book and don't bring it, you may fail the test and have to repeat it all over again.

Brad

PS to arto--no offense is meant in singling you out--I'm sure there are others who would agree with you over my views. To each his own.

Arto-
thrust-parry
counterthrust, touche'

OUCH!

Thanks for taking it in the way it was intended; I will do likewise.
Cheers,
Brad

Thanks for the postings. They are going to be useful for me too.

I am an ocean engineer and I am planning on taking the PE in October. I have a dilemma about what test to take because there is no Aero/Ocean discipline (the new Nav Arch exam really does not carry much weight right now). After looking at all of my options, I have decided that the mechanical engineering exam is probably the best. I have fluids down, but I will have to freshen up on a meger education in thermo and I will have to learn HVAC from scratch. I just do not see any other exam that is appropriate for me. I am actively seeking suggestions.

Also, sorry for being such a foreigner to ME, but can somone please spell out MERM for me (is it the Lindeburg review manual)? Can I find it at Amazon or at a particular website?

Thanks, Jeff

oceandesigner,
I took the ME exam, thermal/fluids option. Having fluids down is a great benefit but you will definitely need to know HVAC. On my exam, the morning portion had several HVAC questions and I've heard others say that as well about other exams. MERM=Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual, by Lindeburg. It is a great reference and will give you a good review of thermo and HVAC but you will have to look other places for some more material on HVAC.

I put this page on my website after I took the exam, for my friends ( It's just some advice about references, tips for studying, useful links, etc. that I gathered together while I was studying for the exam. You may find some helpful advice there. Good luck!

I took the test ten years after I graduated from college. While working, I dedicated all of my spare time during four months solving problems from all my engineering text books, Kent mechanical engineering hdbks, Perry chemical enginering handbook and NCEE problems . The time spent was worth it. The key to succss is to solve all the problems in your field before taking the two tests. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back