Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PE Exam Study Materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theonlynamenottaken

Structural
Jan 17, 2005
US
I'm taking the April SE1 exam and was wondering if anyone had bought Subasic's, "Six-Minute Solutions for Structural I PE Exam Problems" and NCEES', "NCEES Structural I Engineering Sample Questions and Solutions" books and whether they were worth their price.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I remember right, I bought the sample questions and solutions from NCEES and thought it was worth it. I also had the book by Lindburg for the civil PE because it had some structural too. I've never heard of the first book you cite. Compared to the EIT, I didn't think that the Struct 1 test was that bad.

I bought Ms. Subasic's book, too. It's a good kick start concerning the codes. I did all the problems and brought the book with me to the exam (it's allowed - the procters checked). It's thinner than you'd think it should be but worth the extra $40 or so.

tmacattack,

Have you enough time to study for the SEII? I am assuming you have... What state? And what was the appliction process like? I'd check it out myself, but that's too easy...

Dave,
I actually took the SEI and SEII last fall. I failed the SEII. I was pretty exhausted after two 8 hour exams in consecutive days. I studied many hours in preparation, about 1 year in advance. I am getting ready to study once again for the spring exam. Hopefully, I will pass it and not have to give up my social life for studying anymore.

I live and work in Illinois. For structural work in Illinois, a PE is pretty much worthless. You need to get a SE license which requires passing the SEI and SEII exams. The application is similar to the PE applications, but you must show that you've worked under a PE or SE doing structural work for 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back