Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PE License Electrical Drawing Training Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeld123

Electrical
Apr 10, 2019
US
Hi! My name is Mike. I work as an electronics engineer for an aerospace company doing systems/software engineering.

I recently earned my PE license in Electrical (I have a BSEE). I would like to learn more about how to create/review electrical drawings and how to calculate various electrical load calculations for residential/commercial buildings.

Can someone please refer a good course/training to learn more about the practice of electrical design drawings/electrical calculations? Also, what software tool would you recommend for designing electrical drawings? Finally, I am open to any tips/suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Huh... you were able to get a PE license without knowing drafting or AutoCAD or how to do load calcs? Wow, times have changed... maybe I should go back and go after mine again!

Most companies use AutoCAD or a derivative of that for doing drawings, you can get training from any of the vendors, probably fee based. Load calc and system design software packages that I see used most often out there are ETAP and SKM Power Tools, they too offer training, definitely fee based. Those are good places to start.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

@jraef

Thanks for your response! It was very helpful. Yes to answer your question regarding the PE Exam... Back around 10 years ago (2009), NCEES decided to split the PE Electrical Exam into 3 different modules. There is Power, Computer, and Electronics/Controls/Communications. I took the electronics test. Here is the syllabus in case you are curious:
I'm an electronics engineer in the aerospace/defense industry (10 years)... and we don't use Revit/Autocad or do load calculations (but I did some in school). In fact, we really don't have any PEs in our industry. I took the PE exam as a personal challenge to myself and to re-learn topics I had forgotten over the years.

I would like to figure out a way to utilize my PE license for consulting.. From what I've gathered the best field to do so is in construction? Or do you know of other industries where a PE might be useful? I know that I have a steep learning curve ahead of me but I'm willing to take 2 steps back -- if I can move 3 steps forward. I'm open to switching industries to learn what I don't know.

May I ask what kind of engineering consulting in particular you do? Do you have other career suggestion/tips? Would you think I should take a job with MEP design firm or would it be better to start with a power utility company?

PS. Would there be a better way for me to contact you to maybe chat? I couldn't figure out how to send a private message on eng-tips.com either... Do you know if there is a way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back