Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PE Reciprocity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtSmuggler

Geotechnical
Sep 29, 2021
US
I got my PE license in NJ. I then also applied for reciprocity in NY and TX. NY rejected my application saying I don't have enough experience. I have to show four years of design experience and what I submitted (through NCEES) was not adequate. How did NJ accept it but not NY? Is this common? Will TX reject it as well?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Boards of Technical Registration are strange and mysterious entities. What one board might accept another might reject. You could pick up your phone and call them. I'd advise some drinking first.

Agreed, save the heavy drinking for after you try to understand the answer they give you.

I've gone through the licensing process in 4 additional states since passing the PE. Each was a little different. I am currently working toward passing California's exams [banghead] and waiting on review from another.

What are NY's experience requirements? They may have some small detail that NJ does not have, in the necessary experience. Although, being neighboring states, one would think they would work well together.

In general, be sure you describe your experience in terms that demonstrate that you were in "responsible charge" of a design, or at least some aspect of it. Be accurate, but be sure to mention the engineering responsibilities and decision-making. Omit things that don't contribute to that. "I designed ProjectName, a 2-story office building with concrete masonry loadbearing shear walls and steel joist floors and roof." "I led the geotechnical investigation for ProjectName, determining allowable bearing pressure, settlement parameters, and earthwork requirements for a 20,000 square foot warehouse." This should help make sure that all your appropriate experience gets counted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back