Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PE Renewel Time... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveVikingPE

Structural
Aug 9, 2001
US
So, time to send in $197 to the State of New York...

Dig this, from the "Continuing Education" instructions:

"...Each licensee shall maintain evidence of having completed the continuing education requirements for a period of six years and be subject to the Department [that's the New York State Education Department]. Do not send any documents with this application [for renewal]..."

Surprise, surprise, surprise!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In Texas they set up their website so you can track your CEU's online, and so they essentially hold the records. But of course you still have to maintain the proof.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" Oddball, "Kelly's Heros" 1970

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

...that would explain the e-mail I got from Contech a couple of months ago asking from my license number. Still, it's weird that NY is working on what looks like the "honor system."

I have heard that states with CE requirements engage in random audits of 5-10% of their licensees. Its probably too much to ask them of have to verify all of their licensees every renewal period, with the resources at their disposal.

I find it interesting that the state board will trust me to keep track of the courses, but not to keep myself educated and up-to-date. The emphasis is on buying a product (pdh's or ceu's) and not on whether I have learned anything relevant to my profession. I am really disgusted with the continuing education requirement. I continue the debate with myself on whether to surrender my license.

You want some cheese with that whine??

I am registered in something like 42 states -- try to keep that ALL straight!!

Just go to some of the on-line sites -- get your 12 or 15 hours needed in about 3 hours and save your certificates.

Many jurisdiction operate on the honour system. Otherwise, your membership rates will need to go up so that they can hire all the admin staff needed to keep track of all your your records, and audit them.

Most of what we do is on the honour system already. You are expected to stamp the drawing only if you feel you are qualified to do so. This is based on honour system.

In my jurisdications (I am registered in 2), we submit our continueing education info on-line. The associations can ask for substantiation, and you have to produce them. I guess they do random checks just to keep people honest.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Required recorded CEUs and PDHs are sops to the academic community for seminar fees and make work for licensing clerks. Engineers solving real world problems are constantly learning new techniques and applications of new technologies without the goad of a 30 credits per two years. I am hoping to stop this bureaucratic nonsense and ignore the "Model Law" in the states I am registered in. The amount of time I spend learning new codes every time they are revised as well as new design methods is more than sufficient continuing education. Speak up if you agree with my opinion by asking the legislature of your state to revise this onerous, unnecessary, expensive rule.

I am definitely in agreement with civilperson. This is a ruse that comes from, among others, our own engineering societies. They are all salivating on themselves at the thought of extorting more money from us (high dues aren't enough). These societies are the ones who lobbied the state boards to get this legislation enacted. It stinks.

I agree. In my opinion in the UK the Institutes saw this as a chance to force people to attend events organised by themselves or academics, so they introduced the CPD requirement, to make money.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Isn't it interesting that in New York State the PEs that are employed by the state are exempt from the continuing education requirements that the rest of us are expected to adhere to? If this requirement is in fact for the betterment of our professions, then I would expect the state to mandate that their own employees also abide by these rules.

Maui

In Alberta there are different elements to the Continuing Education component. It is possible to maintain your registration without taking formal courses. APEGGA, (Alberta) only asks for the hours at renewal time and only asks for records should they choose to audit.

The choice in Alberta several years ago when they brought these provisions in was to find something that worked or the government would mandate a system.

EJL

I heard that the reason that NYS engineer employees are exempt was because the state wasn't willing to pick up the cost of the C.E. and the engineers weren't willing to pay for it either. These engineers have a union too.

HgTX,

Every other employer, and employee, may have an internal training program also. I have an internal training program, it's called reading.

HgTX,

EddyC is right. They are exempt because their union took a stand against the requirement that their members were being forced by the state to pay for these credit hours. Since the state wasn't willing to pay for their credit hours either, they were exempted.

Maui

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back