Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PE stamping landscape architecture plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beej67

Civil/Environmental
May 13, 2009
US
Talking specifically about planting plans for land development projects, tree protection plans, etc. From my perspective as a PE, I can't see a reason why a PE stamping them would be a problem. My perspective doesn't always jive with code, though.

Comments?

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

beej67....this is the applicable paragraph from your state law with respect of practices between landscape architects and engineers. It is the same as for architects and engineers.

[highlight]43-23-16 Applicability of chapter to qualified registered architects and professional engineers.
Nothing in this chapter shall be construed as excluding a qualified registered architect or
professional engineer from such landscape architectural practice as may be incidental to the
practice of his profession or as excluding a landscape architect registered under this chapter from
such architectural or engineering practice as may be incidental to the practice of landscape
architecture.[/highlight]

Thanks Ron and Mike.

The question came up because I thought I could do it, but I'm working with an LA who's from Texas who thought that I couldn't. Turns out we are both right, for the reasons you both mention above.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

I was just looking at a new project coming up and a Landscape Architect did the fine grading plan. The only problem is that it doesn't follow some very basic drainage design criteria. The Architect of the project immediately told me the city wouldn't allow this type of grading plan. This is in Beverly Hills. But other cities around Los Angeles do allow non PE's to do grading plans.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer
| |

In NC, and my understanding, a PE can seal basically anything. I work a lot with the Charlotte building code and zoning officials and they require a PE or an Architect on projects. Either one for most building projects. It is standard practice for PEs to seal planting designs for stream restoration projects in our area. You would not have a problem sealing planting plans for land development projects, tree protection plans, etc in NC.

Robert Billings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back