Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PE Stamping P&IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

randompacking

Chemical
Aug 26, 2011
US
Can someone please direct me to the source of the legal requirement to PE stamp P&IDs in Texas?

If stamping is required, what engineer/discipline is required to PE stamp the P&IDs? Where is the legal regulation for this requirement?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Throughout my 30+ year career, I have worked in the Fiber, Chemical and Pharmaceutical industries. Most of the time, I have been a Senior Process Engineer for A&E firms. For the first time this past year, I was asked to use my PE stamp to seal Process and Instrument Drawings (P&IDs). At the request of my company, I have registered with NCEES and have obtained PE licensure in 3 states. Companies that process hazardous chemicals are required by federal law to keep their P&IDs current and have a management of change program in place. It just makes sense to me that A&E firms should be PE stamping their new or modified P&IDs although it is not explicitly required in all states.

I believe that the engineering profession is becoming a victim of poorly written and vague laws ...

In an absurd era where states mandate "all PIDs" must be sealed by a PE, clients,consultants an will require PE stamps on Utility PIDS

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Engineering Practice Law

If the law is strictly interpreted, all engineering work is required to be stamped because the work consists of the practice of engineering as defined in the law. Read the law, as it is linked above, Section 1001.003. Practice of Engineering.

The law generally allows you to stamp only the work where you are in responsible charge and only for work in your particular discipline. For example, you can't stamp electrical work if you are a mechanical engineer.

However, there is no enforcement mechanism that ensures engineering work is stamped. So what happens is that a lot of engineering work is never stamped.

Engineering work that is submitted to the government for review or permit is stamped. That is because the government agency where the engineering work is submitted specifically requires the work to be stamped and the agency will verify stamping. Usually the particular agency lists the requirement that the work be stamped.

Under the Texas Engineering Practice Act, only duly licensed persons may legally perform, or offer to perform engineering services.

Don't understand why, but many engineers have some kind of libertarian mindset and seem to resent the requirement for licensing. If you are one of these, feel free to respond to the OP, but don't respond to me.

I think you all are correct that the Texas law as written states that all final engineering documents are to be stamped. But, I have never seen P&IDs stamped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back