Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PE w/Structural vs SE in Transmission Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyphenme

Structural
Dec 20, 2011
US
I've just started the beginning of my 4th year towards being able to take the PE. I recently just found out that those taking the exam in Georgia is requiring anyone who is qualified to take the PE for Civil Engineers w/structural depth to take the SE instead. My question is what people in the transmission industry think of this?

I've been doing mostly foundation design for transmission/substation structures along with some transmission structure design. My education bg was mostly in civil structural, I took most of the structures classes (steel, concrete, timber/masonry, and structures I) except for structures II. I haven't done much in depth structural design at work that would prepare me for the SE. I feel slightly overwhelmed finding out that I have to take a 16 hour exam instead of the 8 hour exam. Someone on another forum is trying to take the CE PE w/structural depth in another state but I doubt it would carry over in GA. I have a feeling the 2 day SE will much harder than the PE especially with a 25% pass rate for second day SE lateral component of the exam. I like to stay in the transmission industry, would having an SE be a bit much? I think I have resigned myself to signing up for classes and studying extra hard for the SE but is disappointed that I can't take the PE in place of the required SE in Georgia. I can see why Georgia is requiring the SE instead of the PE but I've only seen PEs in this industry and wondering if anyone is going through the dilemma I am, any thoughts, and what you're doing to prepare for the exam?

Most people I talk to about this was only required to take the CE PE w/strs so this seems to be a whole new thing for a lot of people, especially those in Georgia expected to just take the 8 hour PE.

I'm not sure this is allowed but here is a thread where other people is talking about this too, I can relate to the OP of the thread if that helps:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lots of changes going on in Washington, to include requiring many selected unreinforced masonry buildings in Seattle to be seismically reinforced.

Lots being driven here by seismicity issues. Perhaps Georgi's changes could be driven by the New Madrid fault, and the fault complex northeast of Savannah.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back