Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PED Hot Formed Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsmith22

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2005
US
As mentioned in another thread, PED 97/23/EC heads that are hot formed need the head manufacturer's quality system to be ISO certified with an European pedigree or certified in accordance with PED 97/23/EC since the material properties are changed during the forming process. Based on my research, no head manufacturer has this type of certification in the United States. Does anyone know of a supplier meets this quality system requirement and can form thick wall 2:1 elliptical heads per ASME in SA-516 70 material?

thank you
Wesley

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You mean you cant find any steel shop which can shape that head, that is ISO (e.g. 9001) certified?
That sounds quite odd to me...

I think his problem is that he needs both an ISO 9000 registered facility using a European Addressed Registrar, TUV, Lloyds Etc. and they must also have been audited to the appropriate sections of the European Pressure Equipment Directive. In addition, for anything more stringent than sound engineering practice(SEP) this entails additional approval of NDE personnel and where welding is involved, third party witness through a recognized third party is required. Not a lot of companies that I'm aware of have committed to that type of scrutiny. Trying to work through the PED requirements can be a real pain for those of us on the North American side of the pond. What pressure category is involved? If you are working to the SEP (Annex 1 4.3 cert) it is simpler than if working to 2 through 4.

Make sure to read the PED guidelines. Especially ch. 7 and guideline 7/16.

I believe it´s really pretty simple (it's 68 pages of txt w/ 250 pages of interpretation, whereas the B&PV is 10000+ pages).
Otherwise, pay a few bucks more for a 3.2 certificate by calling in your NoBo.

The problem is the head manufacturer is not a material manufacturer. The head manufacturer changes the material properties during hot forming. Therefore, re-testing of the material must be completed. Also, there may be issues with the forming procedures in a non-qualified shop?
Maybe only re-testing of the material by an agency that is properly certified by the PED 97/23/EC requirements?

Also, most head forming manufacturer's in the states do not have an ISO or PED quality system. The only one I could find was certified by Smithers, which does not have European pedigree as far as I could tell from their website.

Well, one option would be for you to contact your user/client and ask him for advice (i.e. if he/she is in the EU), see if he can contact a NoBo and ask them for advice.

Another thing would be to ask for a 3.2 certificate, which makes the requirement for an (ISO) quality system to be in place, obsolete. However, its gonna cost you a few more bucks.

Can you tell me your volume, pressure, and if the medium is gas/liquid and dangerous/non-dangerous?
As jwhit mentioned you may be on the lucky side of the line when it comes to the category and applicable module.
If ASME is your Code of construction, the ASME PED Guide may also be useful.

Some other links for help;
- - Google's help on eng-tips
- Also keep in mind some materials are not 'PED approved', and may need an EAM or PMA; - And Google again ..

Other than that Im afraid I cant help you, dont have a lot of experience with your specific case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back