Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PED needed for ASME certified tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

onion_lord

Aerospace
Oct 30, 2016
GB
hi, for a university project we are thinking of purchasing a ASME certified tank to be used for as part of the project. i just wanted to know would the tank need to PED compliant, even if we comply with other HSE regulations. the tank is 30 gallons and maximum working pressure is 175psi.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With tank I assume you mean pressure vessel.

It depends where the tank will be installed. Can you provide more details on that? When you say ASME certified, what do you mean by that? ASME design with a U1-stamp?

Furthermore, if national jurisdiction dictates that PED is applicable, more details are required on the fluid properties,in order to determine the category and module. Last but not least, to make things more complicated, there's an article in the ped on 'experimental purposes', which may waive CE-marking.

W one to the PED :)

The tank will be used as a power supply for a model pneumatic 10 1/4" train. So the pressure vessel will be mounted on the chassis of the train. The fluid will be just air pressurized to 8 bar. Since the train will be part of a university project to participate in a national project i don't know if "experimental purposes" will apply

Is it being used in the EU? If not then no it does not need to be in accordance with the PED. If yes then it should be compliant with the PED essential safety requirements and the material needs to comply with the PED.

The details provided about the train may require a different directive or standard to apply, as it's a moving apparatus now, however it still depends on where this vessel will be located. What country?

Furthermore, you mention 8 bar, previously it was 150 psi. Is it 8 bar opering and 150 psi (10.2 bar) design? Is it gauge or abs. pressur? Are you talking UK (4.55 ltr) or US (3.79) gallons?

I know but the OP hasnt answered the most important question. Furthermore, even if it's for use within the EU, PED may not be applicable as it's for use on a moving object; there may be a clause under article 1 ("Scope") which may waive the applicability of the PED. As the OP is in aerospace, who says this will be for a passenger train, and not for a trainfor aerospace applications?

Too little input = shit in/shit out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back