Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pedestrian warning light when towmotor is near. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimCollier

Industrial
Mar 5, 2004
US
We have a few doorways that could pose a safety problem if our towmotor traffice continues to increase and we are looking for some type of warning device. Ideally a 36V RF transmitter on the towmotors with a receiver that includes a strobe light.

When the towmotor nears the receiver, the light turns on, simple.

But, I have not had any success locating any system of this type.

Does anyone have a similar system that is functional?

Thanks,
Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does it need to be RF? How about a somewhat lower tech solution?

Take a low-power flashlight, cover it with an IR filter (you can make your own by exposing photographic film and developing it...it looks black, but passes IR quite nicely), and place atop the towmotor. Use a similar setup near the doors on a standard outdoor floodlight that uses light sensors to turn on/off.

You will need to reverse the light's on/off pattern, and surrounding lighting fixtures may have an effect, so you'll probably need to surround the floodlight sensors with blinders aiming down and blocking out all of the surrounding light fixtures. You'll also need to play with the strength of the lights on the towmotor.

It's not high-tec, but I guarantee it will be cheaper than any RF solution.

Cool idea, but wouldn't it be too directional? What if the towmotor is not lined uip with the sensor correctly?

"Venditori de oleum-vipera non vigere excordis populi"

Jim

Our facility has recently installed several warning devices that might be what you are looking for. They have ultrasonic motion detectors directed at the centerlines of the approaching aisles, and trigger a strobe/warning horn when motion is detected within range. IIRC, the cost was about $2k each. The brand name escapes me, but I'm sure a google search should hook you up. If not, drop me a line and I'll get you the info.

Eight flashlights mounted on top of every towmotor is impractical.

The problem with motion detector is that it would activate whenever there were pedestrians in the area, I am concerned that the employees would get used to the strobe light flashing, and ignore it due to the false alarms.

We have trained the operators, installed STOP signs, and BLOW HORN signs, but we are still concerned about the potential for an accident. There are man doors for the employees to use, but if they are not paying attention the opportunity for injury is there.

a loop detector imbeded in the concrete is what you are looking for, I have installed several of these but was only an employee so am not sure of who venders may be but I would try local overhead door companies for the loop materials, they use these to activate the door openers when forklifts approach, just rewire to activate timing relay that controls strobe light instead,

Great idea. They are made by the people who make traffic signals. Only a large metal mass in the loop makes sufficient disturbance in the field to trigger the detector. Pedestrian and small object traffic (i.e. push carts or hand trucks) would be ignored. Multisonics was one of the companies who made them, but I don't know if they still exist. I have a friend in the traffic control business, I'll ask him this weekend and post some suggestions next week.

By the way JC, in several warehouses I frequent they have electric gates on the passenger walkways. As a vehicle approaches, the gates are latched so that no one can pass in front of it. The rest of the time they swing free. I would imagine it may take a while for people to get used to checking before they fling themselves into a locked gate, but that is the kind of lesson one learns eventually [tongue]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back