Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

penetration for drainage pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RE52

Materials
Dec 29, 2005
IR
thanks for your response for my last question,
we have welded the 3/4" drainage stainless steel without gap (square joint), but unfottunatly we are not sure whether the penetration is good or not.
I want to know the fully penetration is essential in square joint?
I want to know for drainage lines can we ignore the fully penetration?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is your situation as I see it;
If you had used a square joint for joining stainless steel drain pipe, and stagnant water sits in these drain pipes you will have a crevice for corrosion. In other words, leaks will eventually occur in the weld joints. If you need to determine if you have penetration, the best method if to run a mock-up of the set-up that you used in the field and test it.

I don't understand why you didn't use clay tile or PVC for drain pipe to avoid this problem.

Only two real options. Either rely on you weld qualifications to assure you that you have good joints, or go inside with borescope and look at them.
You might be able to UT them, but setup and calibration is going to be a real pain.
Stainless is often used for mixed waste lines. As long as there are no chlorides it is very good. You don't have to worry about solvents and such.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion, every where, all the time.
Manage it or it will manage you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back