Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

penetration on CMU wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

newdnbea

Structural
Feb 27, 2008
US
I have some 16" pipes penetrating 8" block wall. do you guys know any special details to seal the wall? I am thinking just let the mason fill the void with grout. thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The detail that you need to uses depends upon:

Is the wall fire rated?

If the pipe does not deflect at the wall (hard joint), but deflects away from the wall (due to flexible roof support) will it place undo stress on the pipe?

no it is not fire rated. I don't understand exactly what you mean by deflecting. theoretically the wall and the pipe shall not have any interaction.

You should provide a sleeve that is about 2" larger than the pipe and place compressible joint filler around the pipe so that the pipe is not rigidly embedded in the cmu wall

If the pipe is hung from the roof, it will deflect as the roof structure deflects. If this is a metal building with long spans, the deflection could be substantial.

If the pipe thru the wall is grouted solid into the wall, it will not deflect. This is where the incompatibility comes from and can cause a pipe to break if severe enough.

the pipe is supported on the ground. I think BPA827 has a good idea. the sleeve shall be cut from a pipe made of same material?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back