Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perforated Wood Shear Wall Design Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rweave

Structural
Feb 14, 2013
US
I am working on a wood stud wall with structural I plywood on one face as a perforated shear wall to resist lateral loads. The equation for perforated shear wall capacity is Vwall = (v Co)*(Sum of total lengths of wall segments). My question is for the "v" in the above equation (intial shear wall capacity), can I use the modified v*(2w/h)???????
The reason I have the v*(2w/h) is becasue one of my wall segments does not meet the requirement for the height to length ratio for Seismic, but if it is a stand alone shear wall it could be modified by (2w/h) to take a reduced allowable shear load.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming your governing code is the 2008 SDPWS, look at section 4.3.4.1.

If the aspect ratio is greater than 2:1 (and less than 3.5:1) "v" gets multiplied by 2*bs/h when evaluating seismic forces(and any other reductions for blocked/unblocked and specific gravity of framing members) then multiply by "Co" and sum "Li's"

EIT

Note that you are applying a reduced capacity to all the wall segments, so this is a rather harsh penalty. Just by having one segment out of compliance means all compliant segments get penalized as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back