Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Peristaltic Hose Pump Pulsation Dampeners

Status
Not open for further replies.

obsy

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2004
AU
G'day,

Currently, I'm running large (1 meter diameter) peristaltic hose pumps with dampeners for a mining application - pumping high density slurry.

Does anyone know if these pumps require pulsation dampeners on the suction and discharge lines? This setup is what I have currently.

I believe that there is no need for the dampener on the suction line and I'm looking to remove it.

Anyone have any info or opinions?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the suction line is relatively short and the flow acceleration/deceleration effects of the pulsations are very small, then there is probably no need for the pulsation damper. However, if these effects are not trivial, removal of the pulsation damper may provide you with an unpleasant justification for its initial installation.

obsy (Mechanical),
You stated "large (1 meter diameter) peristaltic hose pumps with dampeners for a mining application - pumping high density slurry"

I think the suction source tank should have a mixer to keep the slurry in suspension while in the tank.
I think you should never deliberately put a wide spot in the system (the dampeners should be removed).
I think that the system should present a very smooth flow path with no dead spots or dead legs.
I think that all shut-off valves should be "Pinch" valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back