Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permanent Sediment Control for a Huge Dirt Lot 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdynamic

Civil/Environmental
Apr 28, 2005
US
I have a project with a 15-acre dirt lot in an industrial area. There will be a direct discharge (e.g., catch basin) at the lowest point but the sediment control is a big concern for this big dirt lot (The site is flat though).

I think that a simple filter in the catch basin can't resolve this sediment issue.

What would be a good permanent sediment control measure for this case? A nice vegetated swale measure is not feasible at this point.

Thanks in advance for your expertise. :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

be careful using PAM on any soil you expect to reuse (as fill or at subgrade) as it could have adverse effects. grass the area, build check dams and install hay bails w/ silt fence. i'm guessing it's a warehouse site that got put on hold before the building could start so it wouldn't be "permanent" but should but properly stabilized (with grass) if it falls under npdes requirements.

I would have the area hydroseeded with native grasses? Growing vegitation is going to be the most cost effective means stopping sediment transport.

How much rain do you expect in your area? What part of the country?

For the whole 15 acres you only have one inlet? msucug I think is on the right track with check dams and hay bales with silt fence.

Another good way is to build a small detention pond at your low point. Slowing water velocity to zero for a bit will allow any suspended solids to settle out. You can achieve this by building a specialized inlet to your storm system.

What I mean is for your inlet 'box' if you will, constrain the amount of flow that can get in for you typical storm. Water will pool but eventually get out. On this same box, have an emergency overflow for a very large storm to drain, so you don't create a massive lake if you will.

Whichever governing body has jurisdiction will probably require the lot be stabilized with aggregate or native type vegetation. Depends on whether your site is in New England or New Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back