Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permanent Sediment Control for a Huge Dirt Lot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdynamic

Civil/Environmental
Apr 28, 2005
US
I have a project with a 15-acre dirt lot in an industrial area. There will be a direct discharge (e.g., catch basin) at the lowest point but the sediment control is a big concern for this big dirt lot (The site is flat though).

I think that a simple filter in the catch basin can't resolve this sediment issue.

What would be a good permanent sediment control measure for this case? A nice vegetated swale measure is not feasible at this point.

Thanks in advance for your expertise. :)

(Accidentally, I put the same question in another forum. Sorry for that.)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm surprised that the local soil conservation district or environmental quality department would allow a permanent dirt lot. Here in Pennsylvania, this lost would have to be vegetated or completely covered in gravel.

This situation may produce too much sediment for a hydrodynamic separator (i.e. VortSentry). I was recently on the Vortechnics website and noticed that they do have a model that can be placed in series as multiple units in an on-line configuration (i.e. multiple structures in a row on the same main pipe - no diversion structure/pipes needed). Perhaps this would be an acceptable solution?

Two approaches come to mind.

First is to stablize the soil: Gravel, or chemical stablization.

Second is to maintain/clean up the sediment: Create a sediment pond and swale that directs sediment to pond. Then swale the outflow from pond to the inlet if they cannot be in the same location. The swale can be stablized.

I assume that cost is a major factor or the site would not be left bare.

A little more information would be helpful.

Would planting this particular property with hay/clover be an option? or even a low maintenance type of vegetation??

Possible benefits....
1) Reduced runoff
2) Minimized erosion and sediment concern
3) A local farmer could harvest the hay at the end of the growing season until such time in the future the property will be developed.

Hope this helps.

Ryb01

How about raising the catch basin 8" or so and placing a well drained aggregate in a ring around the CB, say 100' or so in diameter. Install a leach basin to allow the runoff to drain into the CB and provide a 4' sump below the outlet pipe. Require the Owner to maintain the sump and every so often replace the stone.

Additionally you could have the contractor install an earth berm around the perimter of the site. This will prevent the sediment from being transported off site during larger rainfall events. The sediment will accumulate at the edges and ultimately create a pond, but if the owner is willing to live with a dirt lot, they may also be willing to live with a temporary ponding condition from time to time (assuming the soils are somewhat permable) and dependent on the use of lot. The berm could likely be constructed with the native materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back