Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perplexed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear9298

Aerospace
Dec 10, 2003
US
I am presently working for a Co. that is using a Source Control Drawing in a way I have never seen before. I have worked many years on DOD projects and question this process.. But cannot find a viable reason to defend against it. They are pasting the vendor’s part including the vendors drawing format on to the face of their SCD.
Has anyone seen this before?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

People/companies that are intellectually stupid or lazy do this sort of thing all the time. I abhor/detest/loathe the practice, and encourage you to resist the temptation and do the right thing instead.

TVP... Thanks for your comment... my sentiments exactly and resisting... think I have them on the right track now but time will tell.

Again... Thanks.

Have you looked in ASME Y14.24 section 8?

I've got to say I don't like the sounds of what you're doing but can't give an explicit reference to forbid it.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

This is quite common in aviation practice. The source control dwg merely describes a patented or special design by a vendor. There is no point in going to various vendors with a special design belonging to one engineering source.

Ok guys... A little back ground here.. I'm a Sr. Mech. Design Eng. Started out in the days of the Minute Man Missile Sites... Have been in defense off and on since and off-course have seen all kinds of ways of doing things, right or wrong. I have made probably well over 700 SCD's over the years, never have I seen or added a vendor’s format to the SCD.. Rright or wrong that is the fact up till now. I had always cut the selected vendor’s item out of their format ( back in the days of sepia or clipped (Computers)) the actual part from the vendor’s format and pasted it on the SCD.
As to ASME Y14.24 section 8, no I do not have a copy but will obtain one... Hopefully it will make it clear.
Like all of you I am sure, do not want to confuse the issue.. Just facts.
For clarity SCD = "Source Control Drawing".
As to the document.. I assume you are referring to the Test criteria document.. It can be referenced on the SCD or the data pasted on the SCD..
Guys.. I do greatly appreciate your responses and in-put, thanks. Things have and do change over time.
Just need to stay current.

Part of my concern would be whether the vendors drawing actually fulfilled the requirements of a Source Control Drawing (SOCD per I think ASME Y14.38).

However, SOCD's are a bit of a gray area for me. I'm pretty sure my current place has misused them, and done a bad job even when correctly applied.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Kenat.. yes.. checked ASME Y14.24 section 8.. No reference to the Vendors format being on the SCD... and from the datad presented in section 8 the vendors format does not go on the SCD...

Thanks All for your input...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back