Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perseverance-Rover Landing on Mars - Kennedy Space Center 18 Feb 2021 ~1555 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

WKTaylor

Sep 24, 2001
US
Perseverance will touch down on Mars to begin its mission of exploring the Martian surface and seeking evidence of ancient life on Mars. Perseverance is scheduled to land on February 18, 2021 at approximately 1555 EST and you can watch the live coverage [YouTube, C/NET, etc]

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you see Greta's take on this?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Looking forward to the helicopter flight. It was interesting that many "gut feel" guys thought it could not happen, but then a bit of envelope scratch pad and there it is on the way to Mars.

I am disappointed that there's around a 20 minute delay. That needs to be fixed.

I hope MRO took images of the descending lander under parachute... those are cool!

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

I wonder if the Chinese 1st-landing attempt will be broadcast live... or if it will be secretive??

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!

I have a feeling the PRC scientists are playing their cards pretty high and tight.

The PRC has NEVER been free/open with their science findings... after all real/accurate data risks exposure of the science instrumentation, methods, measurement accuracy's, etc... when compared with 'other sources already there recording the same general parameters'.

Might also, just be scouting the landing sight in detail, the atmosphere characteristics [winds aloft, air density variations, etc], sun angles, terrain height/features, etc...

OR they may have just recognized some issues not yet 'in the play book'. The moon is relatively close and easy... 'Mars is hard'... its atmosphere/climate is constantly changing.

This will be interesting. I cannot remember any other nation successfully landing on Mars

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!

I think Russia and the Brits each managed at least one non-crater-creating Mars landing but post-landing functions failed in short order. If any get close enough they might boop Beagle 2 on the nose and flip the solar panels to be photon acceptance side up and get it going.

I wonder if the Chinese 1st-landing attempt will be broadcast live... or if it will be secretive??

Why even bother asking?
My guess is that the light delay between Earth and Mars will increase to about 2 hours for a brief period of time, then return to its normal 12-15 minutes. All easily explained.

Please remember: we're not all rednecks!

I have high hopes for NASA's mission because the Perseverance rover is equipped with unique instruments no one other space agency managed to create. However, I appreciate the efforts of China and UAE that also sent their Mars probes. I will be glad to see their research results, and I hope they'll help us get closer to sending a crewed mission to Mars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back