Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

peugeot 306 rear suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

grakson

Automotive
Jan 16, 2008
SI
hi, as I know today manufacturers mostly use solid axle, torsion beam axle and multilink rear suspension systems.

Solid axles on some SUVs and pickups, multilink on RWD and AWD cars and also on bigger FWD cars, and on small cars we mostly found torsion beam axle (also twisted beam axle).

But what kind of rear suspension is on an old 306?
It looks like torsion beam, but on torsion beam - axle is of one piece, on peugeot it is from thre pieces - axle and two wheel arms that are conected to the axle and can sving up and dowm comare to the axle. Also axle is screwed stiffly to the frame, on the contrary as torsion beam is - where we have one axle that holds both of the wheel and is conected to the frame wia trunnion.

/img/

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks like a trailing-arm independent suspension, the "axle" is just the pivot axis for the trailing arms and does not move up and down relative to the body.

GregLocock said:
"It looks like a trailing-arm independent suspension, the "axle" is just the pivot axis for the trailing arms and does not move up and down relative to the body."

on wikipedia aslo said that 306 has trailing arm/torsion beam suspension.

but where are the springs. Suspension on this picture is modified (yellow dumper and smal coil spring), on stock it doesn't have coil spring only dumper is seen.

To me, it looks like the torsion bars are external (the left one in front of the axle and the right one behind the axle, or vice versa, I can't tell which way it is).

Its very similar to the Renault 19 (1989) RA. Sorry, Greg here comes another hand wavy explanation. The "Yellow" tube is actually a triple layered in the middle. The LH solid torsion bar is connected to the body on the LH side and runs inside the tube to the middle where it is fixed to this tube. The "force" than runs back along the tube to the LH trailing arm. Similar scenario on the RH side except that this larger tube is also embedded to the LH tube.

The red part is the normal ARB

Pretty crap sABS solution though.

Best regards
René le Grand

Thanks Rene. Yes, the motion ratio on that shock is amazing.

Hmm, well I'm working on a car where packaging the springs is a bit tricky, I wonder if this is a solution?

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I kind of wondered that about the shock absorber, but not being a suspension guy, I said noting. Could they address the shock absorber problem with a much bigger bore shorter stroke shock.

The photo is not clear, but others seem to see what I saw. It seems unnecessarily complex vs the systems used on later model air cooled VWs and the GM "J" car platform in the late 80s early 90s. I think the "J" car was a Vaxhall Cavalier in the UK and a Holden Camira here.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers for professional engineers

It looks a lot better in that drawing.

Shocker motion ratio about 1:1 with the wheel.

A straight forward trailing arm much like a cross between an air cooled VW and an Austin 1800.

Lateral location looks a bit flimsy, but then it also did on the 1800 and they rode and handled well.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers for professional engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back