Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pH/Solvents/Indicators Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gluedudeguru

Chemical
Oct 5, 2009
US
I have a very hydrophobic solvent solution and its current pH is around 7. I have been trying to use phnthln as an idicator (which the system accepts seeing as though it is 95% ethanol). The problem comes when trying to pH adjust the solution with 50/50 NaOH. This being dissolved in water does not play nice with the already solvent/hydrophobic system. The closest i have gotten is to just use a cowell mixer and just beat the crap out of the solution while adding the indicator and then slowly the NaOH, the solution is very thick (2000 cPs ish) so the globules of indicator and NaOH are suspended in soln, but eventually fall out (and even sometimes turn a yellow). i need the color to be dispersed throught the product for an extended period of time, months. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Any way to make the solvent system change pH without using water based NaOH (some other pH modifier), or to disguise the base as a water hating
Also, why does the pH/NaOH turn yellow of all colors after settling and reacting with air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back