Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pharmaceutical engineering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itskg

Chemical
Apr 12, 2008
What is pharmaceutical engineering? What kind of jobs can a pharmaceutical engineer major get you? Is it as difficult as a pharmacy major?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

itskg,

Pharmaceutical Engineering involves the application of Engineering, Technology, Scientific and Mathmenatical principles to the Pharmaceutical Industry.

I can not say whether it is as difficult as a pharmacy major because I am not a pharmacist. I am a chemical engineer who has worked most of my career in the Pharmaceutical Industry (21 years now), so in a practical sense I am a Pharmaceutical Engineer.

What I can say is that the conferring of a degree in Pharmaceutical Engineering is relatively rare, especially in the US and at the undergraduate level. That is changing, though and we may see more BS programs as the field evolves as a discipline.

It would probably involve studies in Biology, Chemistry/Biochemistry, Statistics and Pharmacology, along with more traditional Engineering coursework.

To more directly answer your question "more difficult' would depend on the student and where his or her skills lie.

Hope that helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back