Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phase of the Frequency Response Function - FRF - Vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmJam

Mechanical
Dec 12, 2019
ZA
Hi
I have difficulty to interpret the phase angle from my frf. I would appreciate if anyone can help me with this issue.

Attached is my FRF plot. Is it correct? and why is it noisy?
If the phase at any peak changes from -180 to 180 (not 90 degrees), is it then related to the natural frequency?

Thanks alot,
1_lkuygt.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It might be correct, nobody can tell from a screenshot. The phase is just telling you the amount of sin and cos in each frequency line. Usually I would not look at the phase from a single channel, it's the phase difference between 2 channels that is important.

It is 'noisy' around 20 hz because there's no signal there.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

1. the FFT is performed over a specific time interval and characterizes that data including, that of the time window which introduces its own contribution.

2. by the way there is a danger in equating "amplitude" with FFT magnitude.

Amin,
look at higest peak, where you have enough energy to calulate correctly phase.
Seems #2 resonance 12 and 37 Hz aprox. In 12Hz it is clear the change phase shift with 90degrees at resonant frequency.

In order to well understand if your measurement is correct it is usefull to use choerence function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back