Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Phase Shifting Transformers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

njengr1

Electrical
Jan 6, 2004
US
Any experience with specifying a large (50MVA) phase shifting transformer. What computer tool or model was used to develop the phase angle shift requirements? Who was asked to bid?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In ANSI regions, one reference may be IEEE Std C57.135-2001 …Application, Specification, and Testing of Phase-Shifting Transformers

A partial table of contents is 1 Scope, 2 Purpose, 3. Definitions, 4. Application and theory of PSTs, 5. Service conditions, 6. Rating data, 7. Construction, 8. Short-circuit characteristics, 9. Control system, 10. Testing of PSTs.

I have in cooperation with two consulting engineering firms specified and had manufactured a 15/20/25 MVA phase shifting regulating transformer.

Can i ask as the your desired use for this type of transformer?

This phase shifting transformer will be connected from a 230kV utility and supply power to a 13.8kV load bus. Other conventiional transformers are now connected to the same 230 kV utility. The PST will essentially be in parallel with these conventional transformers. The PST is needed to control the amount of power taken via its link to the utility. The PST will be required to phase shift and drop the voltage from 230kV to 13.8kV.
jmalouf: what program was used to analyze your system and who was the manufacturer?

Hi,
I am looking for more info on Phase-Shifting Transformers(132kV, 100MVA).
Thanks to 'busbar' for the folowing reference.
'IEEE Std C57.135-2001 …Application, Specification, and Testing of Phase-Shifting Transformers'. I have orderd the document.

Specifically I need the following information.
- A list of manufactures.
- A list of sites where large PSTs are in service. I want to visit a few installations to look at the operational issues. Contact details of people from these utilities will be very useful.
- Any other documentation or references will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Best Regards.
Naas Buger

Any power flow analysis package should be capable of being used to design the connection. Products from PTI, IPSA, EDSA, ETAP, SKM, CYME, Digsilent etc etc, they would all do the job. I'm not sure what role you are suggesting for the phase shift transformer - I assume you have another infeed to the load that you want to use in preference to these utility transformers ? But putting a phase shifting transformer in parallel with non-phase shifting transformers you will only be able to control the flow in your new unit and not the overall power flow from the utility.

nass1
I have recently obtained budgeary quotes from ABB, and Alstom. Both site experience on their web sites.
Utilities have numerous units in service. PSE&g has two right in northern NJ. They are old technology. Utilities usually get them with same input and output voltage levels to regulate power flow in tansmission circuits. For a good review of the various configurations of the windings and tap changers see IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol 13, No. 2, April 1998 by A. Kramer & J. Ruff. An interesting paper on modeling a PST is in IEEE Power Eng. Review,Feb. 2001, pg 51.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back